priming 40 bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmithsEra

Reaction score
I recently made a 5 gallon batch that yeilded 40 bottles.
I used slightly over 1/2 cup dry measure of corn sugar
I brewed a Hefe that used saison yeast.

Do you think I will end up under carbonated? I also taste fusel alcohol will 1 month condition help that

Thank you

If it's five full gallons, it would have been more like 3/4 cup of sugar that would be appropriate but it's hard to say. Using a scale to weigh the sugar is far more accurate, and 5 ounces of priming sugar would be right for 5 gallons.

If you only got 40 12 oz bottles, though, it'd be more like 3.75 gallons. That's a big difference!

Fusels are not aged out of beer, although the alcohol "warmth" could fade a bit with lots of time.

Awe looks like I should start a new batch

Lessons need to be learned I guess ..

Just to emphasize the point: measure all ingredients (except water) by weight, not volume. This goes double for priming sugar.

I don't have a scale to measure the sugar with. My next purchase involves hydrometer, thief, new kit, test tube and will cost me some money sso ill have to buy a scale later on. Is there any proper conversion dry measure for now?

Is my beer going to be be under carbonated for sure with the 1/2 cup dry measure I used

Just get a cheap kitchen scale from Target. For a thief, a turkey baster works great, also from target. The hydrometer and test flask you need to buy from a supplier however. What "kit" are you talking about? An ingredient kit?

I just put my Target turkey baster into my bucket of StarSan so I can take a reading on my Saison. It's all I've ever felt I needed.

Not that this will help you much until you acquire a scale, but there are actualy priming calculators out there. Different styles have different levels of carbonation. There are quite a few out there if you have a chance to google them. Tastybrew.com is one that I use quite a bit. It takes into account style, volume and fermentation temperature. Your beer might be alright though since you don't have a full five gallons.

zacster said:
Just get a cheap kitchen scale from Target. For a thief, a turkey baster works great, also from target. The hydrometer and test flask you need to buy from a supplier however. What "kit" are you talking about? An ingredient kit?

I just put my Target turkey baster into my bucket of StarSan so I can take a reading on my Saison. It's all I've ever felt I needed.

Yeah a beer kit, I want to try a saison again and am going with a dme mini mash with 2 white labs saison yeast from Austin homebrew supply. They recommend double pitching. I'm buying all the stuff from them. But if target has a
Kitchen scale that would rock

mrkrausen said:
Not that this will help you much until you acquire a scale, but there are actualy priming calculators out there. Different styles have different levels of carbonation. There are quite a few out there if you have a chance to google them. Tastybrew.com is one that I use quite a bit. It takes into account style, volume and fermentation temperature. Your beer might be alright though since you don't have a full five gallons.

I tried using tasty brew but my condition temperature is about 80 and I was having trouble using it

I don't have a scale to measure the sugar with. My next purchase involves hydrometer, thief, new kit, test tube and will cost me some money sso ill have to buy a scale later on. Is there any proper conversion dry measure for now?

If you can't afford a hydrometer and a scale, you need to consider whether you can afford homebrewing.

If there were a proper conversion by volume, we wouldn't have told you to measure by weight and not volume. There's no way to accurately measure how tightly packed a half cup of sugar is, so there's really no way of knowing how much sugar that is.

KISS Brew said:
If you can't afford a hydrometer and a scale, you need to consider whether you can afford homebrewing.

If there were a proper conversion by volume, we wouldn't have told you to measure by weight and not volume. There's no way to accurately measure how tightly packed a half cup of sugar is, so there's really no way of knowing how much sugar that is.

Well that's not exactly what I said. What I was getting at was that its hard to afford it on this next run. Thats why i was considerin doin it LATER ON. Your discouragement however is turned to encouragement by at least your logic in dry measuring how tightly packed tthe sugar can be

And I have already decided to move forward and spend spend spend

Another source for a cheap scale digital scale is Harbor Freight. I got one for $19.95.
Bed Bath and Beyond may have a food scale at a good price.
Look for a scale that will do pounds, grams and ounces.

kh54s10 said:
Another source for a cheap scale digital scale is Harbor Freight. I got one for $19.95.
Bed Bath and Beyond may have a food scale at a good price.
Look for a scale that will do pounds, grams and ounces.

Thanks target has a food scale for about 20.00 so I guess its time to give this another go! Haha at least when the order ships and arrives to me

Well that's not exactly what I said. What I was getting at was that its hard to afford it on this next run. Thats why i was considerin doin it LATER ON.

Believe me, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of this wonderful hobby. Keeping your finances in order is more important, though.

Good luck with your next batch :mug:

When on the tastybrew.com priming calculator page where it asks you for temperature it wants your fermentation temperature. I saw you mentioned your conditioning temperature. Also I'm not sure what style you brewed but look for it on the drop down menu and then from the range of co2 volumes it gives you choose what you would like and enter it in below that. Yooper came up with 3.75 for your volume in gallons so you would enter that. That should get you where you want to be. Hope that helps some.

This is a great scale for hops, water additions and priming sugar (EDIT: 0.01g increments, much finer than most pocket scales). It's limited to 100g (total with measuring container - a small piece of paper works well). 5oz of priming sugar is 141.75 g so that would need to be weighed in 2 portions on this scale (75.00 g + 66.75 g).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012LOQUQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is another nice scale that measures 1g increments & lbs (up to 11 lbs). It's great for priming sugar, DME for starters, water weight by grams=mL & grain weight. Free shipping on colors over $25.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007GAWRS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Small digital scales don't cost a lot, sometimes shipping costs more than the scale. It's important to look at the smallest increment that's measured and the maximum weight the scale can measure and make sure it fits your intended brewing/kitchen uses. I wouldn't buy a $15 shipped scale that maxes out at 650g compared to a $25 shipped scale that maxes out at 4990g and still measures 1g increments IF you think you'll ever need the extra capacity. I also wouldn't buy a $25 scale that measures 4990g and 1g increments if you're also weighing things <1g. The Williams Brewing one looks like it has a convenient measuring tray.

Luckily, priming sugar falls into a comforatable range on about any gram scale and accuracy <1g is silly.

DSmith said:
Small digital scales don't cost a lot, sometimes shipping costs more than the scale. It's important to look at the smallest increment that's measured and the maximum weight the scale can measure and make sure it fits your intended brewing/kitchen uses. I wouldn't buy a $15 shipped scale that maxes out at 650g compared to a $25 shipped scale that maxes out at 4990g and still measures 1g increments IF you think you'll ever need the extra capacity. I also wouldn't buy a $25 scale that measures 4990g and 1g increments if you're also weighing things <1g. The Williams Brewing one looks like it has a convenient measuring tray.

Luckily, priming sugar falls into a comforatable range on about any gram scale and accuracy <1g is silly.

I've seen some of the online options and it does seem like will be a decent shipping cost. I plan on visiting target which is local to me and recommended by a member. Once I see what target has in store ill compare. I'm about to order all my stuff for my new batch from AHS so ill have some time to shop around for the digital scale before I get my stuff.

I hope the yeast doesn't die, but ill buy the cold shipping option

Latest posts

Back