Mango beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
I want to make a 5 gal batch of a Mango ale. How many lbs should I use in the boil and how long? Also should I put some in the secondary? Anybody ever try?

I won't put it in the boil. It is going to cause a mess. Put it in the secondary. I made a mango weiss once .... 4 cups of mango in 5 Litres - had a real heavy mango taste.

FaanPret said:
I won't put it in the boil. It is going to cause a mess. Put it in the secondary. I made a mango weiss once .... 4 cups of mango in 5 Litres - had a real heavy mango taste.

Thanks!

I made a rye ale and added 4 mangos puree'd to the secondary.
I only included the softer parts of the mango as they were not all the way ripe.
I simply put them in boiling water for a minute, pat dry and pitched. Since I wasn't sure how the mangos would hold up in room temp I let them sit in the fridge and cold crash the entire time.
-
I just bottled this a couple of days ago but when I tasted the sample for the FG reading I was surprised on how strong the mango flavor was.

I just did a 5g batch of a blonde ale and I split it into 5 sperate gallons. 2g of blonde + strawberry (2#) puree in each, 2g of blonde + mango (4.5 golden mangos) puree in each and 1g of the just the blonde... I'll keep you posted... I bottle it on saturday.

For me, a Single Hopped Citra IPA, plus some Vienna (maybe just for visual perception) in the grain bill gives a delightful mango flavor without adding actual mango.

Back