Primary to secondary move.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mufflerbearing

Reaction score
I am looking at the directions and it says to check gravity. I checked it and it is showing 1.01 and that should be my FG. Should I transfer? It says to move if it is 3-4 points away from FG. Please advise. Carboy waiting on counter.

Depends on the style, but I only transfer if im racking onto fruit or sonething

Transferring before final gravity is reached is old procedure.

Wait 2 days and take another reading if it is also 1.01 you can then transfer.

Or better yet, wait another 2 weeks or so and go straight to bottling.
The less you can handle the beer the less chance of infection.

kh54s10 said:
Transferring before final gravity is reached is old procedure.

Wait 2 days and take another reading if it is also 1.01 you can then transfer.

Or better yet, wait another 2 weeks or so and go straight to bottling.
The less you can handle the beer the less chance of infection.

This sounds best. Secondary just clears it up right?

Racking to secondary will help with clarity. I have done both with no ill effects. As far as ingection goes I say since its already beer at this point infection really isn't a concern. no bad bugs can survive in beer as far as I know.

Actually, it's gravity that makes the beer clear. There isn't anything magical about moving the beer to a new vessel- gravity still does the work whether it's in primary or a clearing vessel.

I'd leave it be for two weeks, and then simply bottle it.

Alright. I have decided to not second but now my concern is that I am only getting a bubble out of my air lock about 1 every 15 sec. Is this ok? Still at 70 degrees and stable.

image-2802659.jpg

Yep... The co2 produced decreases as fermentation slows down. As others stated, keep waiting a few weeks then bottle. I'd skip the clearing vessel too.

The biggest reason I secondary is to reduce the amount of trub and stuff in my beer. I don't trust my skills to bottle from just the primary as it is easy to suck up stuff to the bottling bucket. A secondary reduces my chances of doing this. Everybody has their own way or reason... that's one of mine.

Done! I will wait at least one more week then bottle. Guess I might as well put my other fermentation bucket to some good use in the meantime.

I frequently go to secondary, just because I have a couple of 5 gallon fermenters and one 6 gallon, so this frees up the larger fermenter for a new batch. As Igilmore points out, while the particulates may not settle any faster in secondary, there is less trub in the bottom, so you're less likely to kick up a big cloud when you go to the bottling bucket.

It's not a big effect---I have found that with a few days of cold conditioning in primary, plus a medium to highly flocculant yeast, that the trub/yeast cake is tight enough that it is hard to disturb it. But it is a comforting bit of insurance. I really hate bottle sediment. However, I still don't secondary if the only purpose is to reduce trub. It's not as important as avoiding the additional small risk of infection.

Back