primary temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbys

Reaction score
I started a batch of Requiem Raspberry - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/requiem-raspberry-56285/ last Sunday night, four days ago. This is my first brew in colder weather. Normally I struggle to keep my primary at 70 or under using a swamp cooler and ice blocks every 12 hours. This time however, it cooled in 10-15 minutes at pitching time to 65. Pitched my yeast(Nottingham dry with a 1 litre starter) and overnight had activity.Checking the temps of the swamp cooler water, was at 62-63. Is this too cold ? If the fermentation is 5-8 degrees hotter than the cooler would that put me in line with just under 70 ? Should I bring up the temps now that I'm on the fourth day and if so what should they be at now? Planning to leave in primary for 14 days then rack on top of the raspberries for another week. How about secondary temperature range ?

Nottingham yeast has the best flavor when fermented at 59-63 or so, so I'd say you're just about perfect! If you have a "stick on" thermometer on the carboy, that would help to know what the temperature actually is but it seems perfect where it is.

Some notes to answer critical questions first:

1) Nottingham Dry Yeast has a fermentation temp range of 57-70. Your mid 60's should be just fine.

2) Try your best to maintain a consistent temperature the entire period of Primary Fermentation, unless you are trying to make a specific taste/style choice.

Now, some notes:

1) Once your activity stops in your primary (in my opinion) you should start to check for your target gravity. no need to let your beer sit for 14 days if it's done doing its think in 6. Once you hit or get close to your target gravity, you can rack to secondary.

2) Secondary fermentation is primarily used for 2 purposes: increasing clarity and adding flavors / mellowing off flavors. Most (if not all) of the fermentation is done, so the temps aren't that much of an issue. You can do it at room temperature, or lager it for a period if you choose. Sure, the presence of the raspberry sugars my shock your remaining yeast back to action, but not enough to be concerned with.

3) Regardless, you'll have beer at the end of the endeavor. keep good notes on what you do, and judge the flavor after its finished. Modify your process (using those notes) if you're unhappy with the final product.

thanks for the replies, I guess I just stay the course and follow through with the same temps that I started with. I'll follow up after my first taste. :mug:

Back