Primary/Secondary time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsome1

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm back for some advise. I brewed a Scotch Ale Extract Kit on Tues. the 3rd and just finished a Partial Mash IPA II Kit right now (I followed DB's PM instructions :rockin:). Both brew days went very well and got my extimated OG on both batches. They both are high gravity batches and I did make a yeast starter for both batches.

IPA II...
Estimates:
OG 1.073-77
SRM 11.5
IBU's 84-88
ABV 7.2
Actual OG 1.074

Scotch Ale...
Estimates:
OG 1.082-85
SRM 19
IBU's 19-22
ABV 8
Actual OG 1.086

So, my questions is how long do I leave them in the primary and secondary? I was planning on moving them to a secondary to clean them up a bit and free up my primaries. The kits don't have instructions on how long to ferment them for. I'll also be bottling them.
Thanks in advance for the help. :mug:

There's a lot of discussion about that on the forum. Some people never move to secondary, some leave it on for a weeks, three - four etc. Take some gravity testings to determine when it's done.

Cool, I've been looking up info right now. As for moving to the secondary it would mainly be to free up a carboy. I'll leave them where they are for at least two weeks then I'll check the gravity on them.

Give 'em 2 to 3 weeks and you should be good. Make sure to check gravity before you do. If it's on the target FG then you are kosher to rack to secondary to free up the primary. If it's not then you've got some thinking to do.

Cool, I've been looking up info right now. As for moving to the secondary it would mainly be to free up a carboy. I'll leave them where they are for at least two weeks then I'll check the gravity on them.

Right answer!

Right answer!

See that's where I'm confused, I followed that advice and left my second batch in my primary for 2 weeks after which I bottled it, and it basically tasted like decayed yeast. It's been a month or two now and the taste has improved somewhat but its still unpleasant.

Help?

See that's where I'm confused, I followed that advice and left my second batch in my primary for 2 weeks after which I bottled it, and it basically tasted like decayed yeast. It's been a month or two now and the taste has improved somewhat but its still unpleasant.

Help?

i have read here.. that 4 weeks is best. yeast cleanup routine = yummy beer.

Help?

I don't know what you are doing, but I never have issues with yeast.

My beers almost always stay in the primary for at least 2 weeks, often 3 or even 4, and occasionally more. I do use secondaries, and beer stays there for 2 weeks to several months. No off flavors.

2 weeks in primary, then bottle = not long enough time.

I've been following the standard 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, and it's worked out well. Now I'm pushing the primary to 2 weeks and 2 or more weeks secondary. Time will tell...

2 weeks in primary, then bottle = not long enough time.

I've been following the standard 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, and it's worked out well. Now I'm pushing the primary to 2 weeks and 2 or more weeks secondary. Time will tell...

1 week primary??? wow. i dunno but my guess is you beer is going to be better at 2 weeks in primary compared to 1 week. why not try the next batch at 3 weeks,, and the 4th batch at 4 weeks. report back and let us know. i bet the 3rd & 4th are better :ban:

Well just a quick update. It's been 6hrs since I pitched the yeast on the IPA and that bad boy is bubbling away! My Scotch Ale I brewed on Tues is still bubbling. I think I'll go ahead and give'em 2 1/2 - 3 weeks in the primary. I really enjoyed brewing the PM, hope to start brewing a full grain in the near future. Thanks to everyone for all your advice and help.

An update on my two batches...

1) IPA II, it started bubbling away after 6hrs from the yeast being pitched. It's now only bubbling once every few seconds. The krausen has almost completely disappeared. I went ahead and took a gravity reading and it's a 1.018 (OG was 1.074). I tried the sample I took to take a gravity reading and it taste AWESOME!! It's been in the Primary for 5 days.

2) Scotch Ale, Also started bubbling a few hours after the yeast was pitched. That bad boy is still bubbling but not as much as the begining. Krausen is still present. So far its been in the Primary for 8 days.

I'm going to leave both in their primaries for the full two weeks. I only took a gravity reading on the IPA because of the krausen going away. Well, all is good so far!

Latest posts

Back