primary is basically a trash can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paryfon

Reaction score
my primary is basically a 20 gallon trash can made of food grade plastic. the top is not air tight. there is no water lock or anything, the CO2 just escapes through the gaps in the loose-fitting lid. how long do you think it is safe to leave my beer in there before racking? i know that the CO2 blanket should keep it good for a while, but is it safe for an extended primary fermentation of 3 to 4 weeks?

Chris White in the yeast book suggest not using an airlock until the krausen falls. I think that is when you should rack if you can't keep the air out. Depends on how fast you drink the beer too I guess. Look into open fermentation and see how long people go with that.

I worked at a winery this fall that used 50 gallon, clean garbage bins for all of the must/wine that wouldn't fit into the fermenters at the facility and they worked fine just with the lid. Their wine is top notch too. Just make sure their cleaned and sanitized.

Back