primary in the carboy urgent!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinn82

Reaction score
Urgent question- couldnt find my plug for the plastic bucket so i figure ill throw my 5 gal batch in the 5 gal carboy. plugged it up and good to go. until 3 hours later when a basic search tells me this is not good. so here is my jimmy rig and should this prevent overflow during krausening?

2 hole carboy cap. out of 1 hole there is basic beer tubing running into a bucket of sanitizer. out of the other hole is the airlock. not sure if it matters but im brewing an weissbock from LME and wyeasy liquid yeast. also, carboy is full to where it starts to go inward towards the opening. help!

Let it go, it'll be fine. Use a blow off tube into a pot of sanitized water if you must. I accidentally used my 5 gallon carboy for my primary instead of the 6.5 gallon carboy that came with the kit with my first brew. It turned out fine. Watch it and once you weather the first few days in the 5 gallon it'll die down. Keep it cooler than 70 and you'll be fine.

Cross those fingers. You sound like you have almost zero head space in the carboy so you are going to have a lot of blow off. Make sure the tube does not get clogged.

The other option is just to put tin foil over the opening and set the carboy in the bucket to catch the blowout. You aren't going to infect your batch when its blowing out - when beer is coming out, nothing is going in. Once the blowout stops, put an airlock on and clean up the mess.

Urgent question- couldnt find my plug for the plastic bucket so i figure ill throw my 5 gal batch in the 5 gal carboy. plugged it up and good to go. until 3 hours later when a basic search tells me this is not good. so here is my jimmy rig and should this prevent overflow during krausening?

2 hole carboy cap. out of 1 hole there is basic beer tubing running into a bucket of sanitizer. out of the other hole is the airlock. not sure if it matters but im brewing an weissbock from LME and wyeasy liquid yeast. also, carboy is full to where it starts to go inward towards the opening. help!

sounds like ya did the right thing, rigging up a blowoff tube. you're probably going to have some of that 5 gal come out of the blowoff, so you won't end up with a 5 gal batch, but you're set to handle the blowoff.

Latest posts

Back