Primary fermentation - pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffter99

Reaction score
Hi
My pale ale has been in the first barrel for 13 days and the hydrometer has been constant on approx 1012 for 5 days. The homebrew kit says to put into keg when below 1014 but the hydrometer instructions say not to keg until 1006 but its not dropping any further.

What do I do?

Is this an extract batch? You are good to go here, rack into your bottling bucket and prime. When the hydrometer doesn't move for 3 or more days, you know it safe to bottle. Does the beer taste sweet or did your hop schedule fix that?
Your recipe would help here.

Hi
My pale ale has been in the first barrel for 13 days and the hydrometer has been constant on approx 1012 for 5 days. The homebrew kit says to put into keg when below 1014 but the hydrometer instructions say not to keg until 1006 but its not dropping any further.

What do I do?

You're not going to get many beers that will get down to 1.006, mainly because most yeast strains won't get you there. At 06, you are talking about a very dry-finishing beer. 1.012 seems very appropriate for pale ale. Out of curiousity, in what context do the hydrometer instructions tell you not to keg until you hit 1.006? Like I said, that's not a terminal gravity you will reach very often.

Thanks for all the advice - I'm using a pre mixed kit from St Peters. The hydrometer came with a little instruction manual but I'll disregard that now!

Again thank you all

I wonder if the hydrometer instructions were for wine? Although that seems weird for the opposite reason (1.006 is high for wine). Either way the instructions seem strangely and inappropriately specific.

Back