Primary fermentation activity for extract vs all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassElement

Reaction score
Hey all -

I've been doing all grain brewing for about 2 years. I recently accidentally ordered the extract version of a DIPA kit instead of the all grain version, and instead of returning it figured I'd give it a try. Always up for learning something new.

All went smoothly on brew day, some interesting differences (shorter mash, no sparge, etc) that made things a bit faster. I am noticing now that while my all grain batches tend to have reduced activity in primary after a couple of days (based on the bubbler) my extract batch is still going pretty strong after 5 days... So my question is this: Is there something about using extract that results in longer / stronger activity in primary? Maybe the sugars are stronger, or just different somehow?

Anyway, I'm letting it go 2 weeks in primary (then 3 in secondary) and I know it's going to turn out great, but would value your experienced insight. Cheers! :mug:

Sugar is sugar. Should be no noticeable difference.

Wort fermentability may make a small difference, but probably less than a day difference.

I agree there should be no noticeable difference. Fermentations will be different even with the same beers and same yeasts... For an IPA I would only secondary for as long as your dry hops need. If you secondary at all. I dry hop in primary.

I've not notices a big difference between full extract and partial except that online software is always wrong with fermentability of the DME from my LHBS. I see bigger change when you change your pitch rate and fermenting temp.

I've just starter increase my lagers temp after 6 days fermenting and its starting to bubble again.

"I'm new to this, but mash temp would affect fermentation, no? With extract, what mash profile does it represent?"
That changes from brand to brand. You have to work that out yourself. Either follow a kit and not worry or play around with your own extract recipes.
Either way you can get a beer less malty or more malty:tank:

AG and extract should have about the same fermentable sugars. Maybe the yeast viability and cell counts could have been key difference.

Back