Primary Fermentation 3- 6 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistyboy

Reaction score
im new to homebrewing.I watch a lot of stuff online about it.One question i have is:At my local brewing store, their recipe is to put your mash in a primary fermenter for 3-6 days until the gravity gets to 1010.after you put in the carboy for another 15 days to clarify.Everything else i saw on the net was to put the mash directly into the carboy. Can anyone tell me was the difference between those 2 technic. thank

Find another home brew store, the primary only philosophy is best for most of us , except , the home brew store !!!!

once you strain the grain out of the mash, its called wort now.

the difference between the two techniques is your HBS is more of an older style of brewing. in the newer style, most would only use the secondary for high alcohol beers or when adding something post fermentation.

either is fine. just be sanitary and adhere to proper racking standards anytime you are dealing with your brew.

Back