Prickly Pear season, Who else is incorporating this fruit in their beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Eugenics

Reaction score
My first fruit beer with a simple recipe.
4# of 2 row
4# of torified wheat
1oz of hallertau @ 60
WB-06
Racked on to 1.25# of prickly pear came to 24oz of puree.
Maybe a future fruit to use in a Lambic.

1173751_704489942897687_1063816830_n.jpg

I've thought it would make a good wheat beer. I've never done it though.
I collect some every year, but just as a treat for our tortoise. hmm:mug:

Driving around the Phoenix valley(mostly Scottsdale/Cave Creek areas) I think all day about pulling over and stripping a few lbs off of random cactus and trying something with prickly pears....

Driving around the Phoenix valley(mostly Scottsdale/Cave Creek areas) I think all day about pulling over and stripping a few lbs off of random cactus and trying something with prickly pears....

I'd say go for it. I have done some research and there is not a lot of info/recipes out there. I plan on kegging soon and will post back with tasting notes.

Awesome! i've seen a few people mention it in the cider forums and some others in the mead forums for a prickly pear melomel. I've never tasted the fruit so i can't provide any input but judging by the feedback i've read it makes for a tasty brew.

I grabbed about 6lbs at the local store a couple of weeks ago, and peeled and chopped them up. They have been sitting in my freezer for about a month now, and I am planning on making Prickly Pear Mead al la Charlie Papazian, later this month.

I have drooled over his description of this in Homebrewer's Companion, ever since I got it back in the mid 90's. Can't wait!

I have to say I am surprised at how good this beer tastes. It’s very light and drinkable with a noticeable taste of the prickly pear and finishes with a slight tartness at the back of the tongue. If I were to try a future batches I might add a little more fruit about a pound or try using it in a blonde ale.

2013-08-24_14-12-53_938.jpg

Back