Pressurizing Cornie keg with compressed air

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzygone

Reaction score
I bought a 1.75 gallon cornie keg to use to clean my beer lines (instead of a hand sprayer).

Any reason not to use compressed air from my compressor to pressurize the keg? Or should I stop being cheap and just use the CO2?

Why not, I do all the time.
Check the max PSI stamped on the keg, don't just hit them up with 120psi like you would your tools.

I didn't think about this... Use an oil-less compressor and remove the tool oiler if you have one.
I use my little oil-less pancake compressor in my brewery and my bigger oil cooled one in my shop.

Eh: guess I’ll stick with the CO2 type.

Mine is a larger compressor, and while it doesn’t have an Oiler, I’m sure there’s enough oil blow-by to be of concern.

i guess I could grab one of those portable air tanks and fill it with my bicycle pump, but I can’t imagine it uses too much CO2 to purge the lines.

A hand pump with a ball-lock QD works well for me to clean/sanitize a three-tap kegerator. Not hard to rig up your own, but there are commercial ones too.

Another vote for not a chance. I cant even drain my compressor on a homeowners driveway from the milky oily nasty water that comes out.

Latest posts

Back