Pressure vs. Temp control vs. Kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashopis

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m wondering about the methods for controlling temperature-related off-flavors in beer. One is to keep the temp in the recommended range with temp control. Another is to ferment warmer but under pressure. Finally, there is using Kveik yeast at warmer temps.

Question: if fermenting under pressure is there a benefit to also using temp control?

Also: if fermenting warm under pressure, is there an advantage to also using kveik?

Finally, if I get a pressure capable fermenter (like a fermzilla all rounder) is there a point to also getting a fridge/fermentation chamber?

Cheers!

I've never had a bad batch yet in about 15 brewed with Voss Kveik dry. It's also great for making pseudo-lagers and Kölsch-like brews. It can throw a bit of citrus fruitiness, but I enjoy that.

Our you use lutra, that one comes without the citrus, even at 37c. No pressure or temp control needed. An old sleeping bag wrapped around the fermenter will do.

Is there a dry version of Lutra available anywhere?
I'm afraid not, but it does not need a starter and it stores very well in jars in the fridge. I bought one pack once, brewed a low og beer with it, split the resulting sludge into three jars, stored them in the fridge, waited 7 months, threw one glass into a new wort, took off instantly.

Better to buy at local HBS than to ship with an ice pack I assume?

I wonder why there's no dry available when Norweigian farmers have been drying this stuff traditionally for centuries.

@Miraculix How many starters do you think I could make from one packet without stressing the yeast?
You don't need a starter. Just chill the wort to 35 c and pitch directly. I think one pack would be good for 3 five gallon batches, if being split. I did that with Voss some time ago, that worked pretty well but never with lutra.

Entschuldigen Sie mir bitte!
Sorry I was not clear in my question. What I meant was, how many full-pitch volumes could I grow and store from one packet? (The packets are not cheap and I wouldn't want to drop $10 on yeast for every batch )

Sorry I was not clear in my question. What I meant was, how many full-pitch volumes could I grow and store from one packet? (The packets are not cheap and I wouldn't want to drop $10 on yeast for every batch )
You could probably safely do 3 or 4, I'd say. But there's no need to drop $10 on every batch. Make a light colored beer to start, save the slurry from that in a few jars, and pitch from there. Better than making a starter and splitting it.

Hey, a cheap temp control is ice/water bath. It usually keeps the fermentation 1 or 2 degrees below the ambient temp.

Hey, I found some dried Lutra in my freezer...........oh yeah, I made it. I let the wort settle out and transferred completely clear wort into fermenter, and spread the clean yeast cake on a parchment lined pan and dehydrated it in the oven.

Yeah .. I might try that. Does it help to get a small water pump to keep it circulating?
Just to repeat myself, this is not necessary with lutra. Very clean at 35 degrees Celsius does not get cleaner at 18 degrees Celsius.

But what suffers is the fermentation speed and also final gravity might be a tad bit higher when fermented lower.

You already got three batches in one pack! Otherwise, just as recommended, just store the sludge of the beer in the fridge. You can go on like that forever.

Yeah .. I might try that. Does it help to get a small water pump to keep it circulating?

Instead of a water pump, a fan would make it more efficient. Evaporation and stuff. But the fermentation temp remained paired with the ambient when I tried that. So I don't think it's really necessary.

Also, even with a clear profile yeast, if it's get too hot, some fusel and esters will show up.
Not a big deal, but if you want to complete avoid them, is better keep it lower.

Instead of a water pump, a fan would make it more efficient. Evaporation and stuff. But the fermentation temp remained paired with the ambient when I tried that. So I don't think it's really necessary.

Also, even with a clear profile yeast, if it's get too hot, some fusel and esters will show up.
Not a big deal, but if you want to complete avoid them, is better keep it lower.
I think you have never brewed with kveik.

Up to 35c, clean remains clean, at least with lutra.

Better to buy at local HBS than to ship with an ice pack I assume?

I wonder why there's no dry available when Norweigian farmers have been drying this stuff traditionally for centuries.
I'd chance the slight citrus for the dry yeast convenience...

I'd chance the slight citrus for the dry yeast convenience...
I've ordered kveik in August with no ice pack and still took off like a rocket when pitched and not aerated. That stuff is resilient. Ice pack to be safe if you feel like paying the extra charge, otherwise, also safe without it.

Is anyone going to actually answer the questions asked by the OP? I do pressure fermentation with temp control and its improved my beer a lot. Cant say which helped more because I started doing both a the same time.

Cheers

^^^^
Hey all. I’m wondering about the methods for controlling temperature-related off-flavors in beer. One is to keep the temp in the recommended range with temp control. Another is to ferment warmer but under pressure. Finally, there is using Kveik yeast at warmer temps.

Question: if fermenting under pressure is there a benefit to also using temp control?

Also: if fermenting warm under pressure, is there an advantage to also using kveik?

Finally, if I get a pressure capable fermenter (like a fermzilla all rounder) is there a point to also getting a fridge/fermentation chamber?

Cheers!
#1. Yes, this will give you the most control.
#2. No, not really, but I like the ability to not worry about temp control or pressure and ferment in the house at ambient temps with no off flavors.
#3. Yes, eventually you will want to do lagers, and even with pressure most ferm temps are below normal home temps.

With kveik you can dry it yourself. Make a 1050 batch of pale something, save the yeast cake, spread this out on parchment and dry it out in the over or dehydrator. Also kveik likes to be under pitched. I've heard of people using two tbsp of slurry for a 5 gal batch. That 1050 batch will give you enough yeast for several brews and you can always keep more yeast from those brews. :mug:

Latest posts

Back