Pressure cooker: A decoction hack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I should have noted that it was a single infusion mash. I just wanted to illustrate how the melanoidins develop over time.

I guess I should have noted that it was a single infusion mash. I just wanted to illustrate how the melanoidins develop over time.
Oh to clarify my question was in regards to this statement:
"In Bohemia, where lighter colored beer was the style, a shorter decoction boiling time of 10 to 20 minutes was made; in Vienna the decoction boil lasted about 30 minutes; in Bavaria a decoction boil would last as long as 45 minutes"

Time to stir this one back up.

20240317_172343.jpg

The left is a pale mild with only Maris Otter, corn, and Invert #2. The right is the Maibock with 85% Pilsner, 15% dark Munich malt, and a pressure cooker decoction of the grains. Finished down to 1.012 for 9% ABV. The judges are definitely going to ding me for that.

This is certainly a method I'll be continuing to play with in the future.

The right is the Maibock with 85% Pilsner, 15% dark Munich malt, and a pressure cooker decoction of the grains. Finished down to 1.012 for 9% ABV. The judges are definitely going to ding me for that.

Maybe. Maybe not. Beers with ABVs in the upper range and often well above the upper range of BJCP guidelines tend to win more than those low and below.

Oh to clarify my question was in regards to this statement:
"In Bohemia, where lighter colored beer was the style, a shorter decoction boiling time of 10 to 20 minutes was made; in Vienna the decoction boil lasted about 30 minutes; in Bavaria a decoction boil would last as long as 45 minutes"
Those times cited are for the decoction boil. After the decoction mash, the lauter and sparge are conducted before the main boil commences. This is why many brewers eschew a decoction mash as it really takes some time. However, keep in mind that decoction doesn't produce more malt flavor but better malt flavor.

Back