Preservatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpy1855

Reaction score
Does anyone put any preservatives in the mead when it is finished and beginning the aging stage of its life?

When fermentation is complete, the alcohol content will prevent any new infections. Preservatives are used at that stage to halt further fermentation, not to prevent infection. If your previous batch of mead was contaminated, it almost certainly happened well before the mead was finished fermenting.

When fermentation is complete, the alcohol content will prevent any new infections. Preservatives are used at that stage to halt further fermentation, not to prevent infection. If your previous batch of mead was contaminated, it almost certainly happened well before the mead was finished fermenting.
What can I do to prevent it from happening again? Should I pasteurize the fruit and mash before adding it

What can I do to prevent it from happening again? Should I pasteurize the fruit and mash before adding it
I've never used raw fruit in my mead, but I make cyser with pasteurized (and preservative-free) apple cider, and I've never had a problem. I'm sure someone else in this forum has experience with fruit... but I agree with you, if I was planning to do that, I'd pasteurize it.

I’m gonna start my batch tomorrow and I’m gonna pasteurized it and mash it. When I did my first batch I had fruit above the liquid line the entire time

I’m gonna start my batch tomorrow and I’m gonna pasteurized it and mash it. When I did my first batch I had fruit above the liquid line the entire time
Having the fruit exposed isn't generally a problem, IF you punch down the cap EVERY day. If you don't, mold will almost always take a hold of it. I suspect that may have been your problem with your first batch. I have started using glass fermentation weights in my fruit additions. This allows you to put everything into a brew bag & it will keep the fruit submerged so you don't have to worry about punching down the cap.

Keep in mind, if you heat the fruit, the pectin in said fruit will leave a haze in your mead. Pectic enzyme may help with that, but, is not always 100% effective. Also, your lees will be huge of you puree the fruit, so, consider that in your overall volume calculations.

Latest posts

Back