Preparing for first Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 in fermenter, 3 in bottle is the rule of thumb for minimums. More for higher ABV% beers.

Also, 3 weeks in the fermenter is not *truly* necessary... it's just a rule of thumb. Theoretically your beer could be done fermenting in 2 days... but that is absolutely, positively *not* the rule of thumb. ;)

I don't think the smoked porter is suppossed to be really high ABV, like 5.6% or so. But I'm cool with waiting and getting a second batch in the works. I just ordered some Star San so I'll be goodwhen it's ready to bottle.

Okay, the fg is in range and it tastes like a porter!! Wish me luck, everyone, cause I'm gonna try and bottle now!

it was cool reading your first brewing experience, I've yet to brew my first batch im still collecting bits and pieces to actually brew the beer.

-=Jason=-

brewed my American Cream Ale yesterday, and things didn't go quite as smooth as I'd hoped. Didn't have enough ice, was running out of smokes (worst possible thing to happen) and ended up having most of the vodka from the airlock get sucked into the fermenter....twice.

Hope the vodka doesn't ruin the batch.........

Relax, don't worry. It'll be fine. It *wants* to be beer.

It's funny, reading about it you'd think it'd be so easy, and then when it's time to brew the oddest things go wrong or at least awkwardly, like where do you rest your mash paddle/spoon, etc.

It'll be second nature by your fifth batch, if you don't change methods too much between batches. :)

I'm sure you had other awkwardness moments... until you know what you're doing exactly there's always something.

My spoon was too short to stay in the pot, it would fall in if I left it there.

Yeah, bottling the first batch was the most awkward. A helper would have been nice to have. At least 3 bottle's worth of beer ended up on the kitchen floor....

Have the bottling wand, but some still spilled. I need a bench capper, also......

Some will always spill, but if you do the dishwasher thing, it's NBD. Seriously, that bottling thread is *golden*.

If you cap non-screwtops then a wing capper shouldn't be too bad. Screwtops, though... whew. Almost snapped some of those!

I'm making sure to only use pry-off bottles. Bought a couple cases of new ones from the brew store and am using Sam Adams and other craft brew bottles that I've enjoyed the contents of.

Argh. waiting is killing me. Saw a bubble yesterday, so I thought my beer was alive, but overnight it almost seems like it was trying to suck the vodka in from the airlock....

okay, i think the wort is dead. Maybe a bad batch of yeast or i screwed something up. Can i jumpstart the fermentation? if so, how?

When did you brew the beer that you think is dead? This isn't the cream ale that you posted about brewing on the 6th, right? That would make that one day, so no neeed to worry yet. Chill out, have a few smokes and let it be.

yeah, the cream ale i brewed on sunday. 48 hours plus now and no action.

OMG, the Black Dog ale (kit from Midwest Supplies) doesn't have any bubbles in the airlock and it's been in the fermenting bucket for almost 20 hours! What will I do, what have I done wrong? OMG!!!!

It's fine, I noticed that the grommet was cracked when I put the lid on and I can smell the product of fermentation already around that crack. When this one is done I'll get a new grommet and a different airlock that fits the hole better (this one has a larger stem and it was a *itch to get it in the grommet the first time).

How's it going, guys? It's my first post here, and I figured I'd latch on to an already existing thread. I've been lurking around here gathering information since I got my first kit about a week ago after reading several brewing related books, and a lot of it has been very helpful (and admittedly, a little confusing).

My first extract kit that I plan to brew tonight is a Brewers Best IPA, and while I'm comfortable doing it by the specific instructions, I was actually able to get a 7.5 Gal brewpot and I was wondering if I should just go ahead and do a full boil. If so, how much adjustment should be made to the hop additions (if any) and what other things should I consider? I downloaded the BeerSmith app, but I'm still figuring it out.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

It's fine, I noticed that the grommet was cracked when I put the lid on and I can smell the product of fermentation already around that crack. When this one is done I'll get a new grommet and a different airlock that fits the hole better (this one has a larger stem and it was a *itch to get it in the grommet the first time).
I don't even use a grommet I just jamb a sanitized stopper and airlock in the hole, one thing less to worry about

How's it going, guys? It's my first post here, and I figured I'd latch on to an already existing thread. I've been lurking around here gathering information since I got my first kit about a week ago after reading several brewing related books, and a lot of it has been very helpful (and admittedly, a little confusing).

My first extract kit that I plan to brew tonight is a Brewers Best IPA, and while I'm comfortable doing it by the specific instructions, I was actually able to get a 7.5 Gal brewpot and I was wondering if I should just go ahead and do a full boil. If so, how much adjustment should be made to the hop additions (if any) and what other things should I consider? I downloaded the BeerSmith app, but I'm still figuring it out.

Actually, it's usually better to start your own thread for this kind of thing. Write an interesting title and you'll usually get attention. Sometimes I look *specifically* for threads that have not been answered. :)

Unless you happen to have a chiller to chill the entire batch, I wouldn't do a full boil this time. Just get one batch under your belt the way the instructions say, and do better and better on subsequent batches.

The exceptions are: ferment it at a lower temperature and for a longer time than the kits usually say, i.e., if they say room temperature for 1 week, do at least 2 weeks and 5-10 degrees below room temperature. Heck, just ferment it for three weeks (the first week below room temp, in the high-60s is good) and don't bother with a secondary (this time)... just try to get good beer.

Later, when you're not doing kits, you can worry more about the difference it makes to do a full boil or not. You'll probably have an immersion chiller or some other method of cooling the entire batch by then.

(If you have an IC now you can do a full boil if you want, following the hops schedule as is... it won't make *that* big a difference since you're using the same amount of sugar in the end, and it's only water volume that's different, if I understand you correctly.)

Actually, it's usually better to start your own thread for this kind of thing. Write an interesting title and you'll usually get attention. Sometimes I look *specifically* for threads that have not been answered. :)

Unless you happen to have a chiller to chill the entire batch, I wouldn't do a full boil this time. Just get one batch under your belt the way the instructions say, and do better and better on subsequent batches.

The exceptions are: ferment it at a lower temperature and for a longer time than the kits usually say, i.e., if they say room temperature for 1 week, do at least 2 weeks and 5-10 degrees below room temperature. Heck, just ferment it for three weeks (the first week below room temp, in the high-60s is good) and don't bother with a secondary (this time)... just try to get good beer.

Later, when you're not doing kits, you can worry more about the difference it makes to do a full boil or not. You'll probably have an immersion chiller or some other method of cooling the entire batch by then.

(If you have an IC now you can do a full boil if you want, following the hops schedule as is... it won't make *that* big a difference since you're using the same amount of sugar in the end, and it's only water volume that's different, if I understand you correctly.)

I actually have an IC. A good friend and I are doing this, and we figured we'd get almost everything we'd need now and in the future to produce good beer via kits, partials, etc. while we had the money to do so, haha.

I did that kit for my first batch as well. I'd just follow the instructions that came with the kit for your first time. Bearing in mind that if you are using a stovetop its gonna be tough to maintain a boil on 5 gallons of wort. Also, I'm not entirely sure how going from a partial boil with 2.5 gallons to a full boil of 5 gallons would work with the ingredients provided. Too much guesswork for a first batch, IMHO. Sometimes its better to learn to crawl before you walk.

I have a 5 gallon brewpot and have yet to do full boils but I will say this - I would have liked to have the extra headspace on the brewpot to reduce the chance of a boilover.

One helpful hint is to have a clean and sanitized spray bottle filled with water (you can boil the water that you put into it ahead of time if you're really concerned about the water purity - not that it should matter THAT much as everything is getting boiled anyways) and when it starts to look like its gonna boil over, turn the heat down, and spray liberally until the foam goes down. I don't know that everyone agrees with this method but I have used it on all 10 (extract with specialty grain) batches that I have done so far with no real issues

Spraying to knock down foam is commonly accepted practice. So is pointing a fan at the surface of the boil for the duration of the boil (but that does increase boil-off volume).

Fermcap-S makes it totally unnecessary, however. ;)

now that the cream ale is happily bubbling away, I need to figure out what to do for my third batch....

Pick a malt (that has enough diastatic power to convert itself). Pick a hop. Brew using only those, yeast, and water. Some people will put wort in multiple 1 gallon carboys and use a different yeast on each SMaSH gallon to really get a good feel for how malts and hops and yeast (oh my!) work together to make flavors in beer. :)

Hmmm....might try that SMaSH method after I have a few more kits in my pipeline.........

The sediment is settling nicely in my first batch. I'm going to open the first bottle and give it a try around Christman/New Years. That will be almost a month of bottle conditioning. Can't wait to try it!

Think I'll bottle my second batch this weekend if the gravity readings are okay.

okay, so i tried a bottle of my first batch and it was strong, but yummy! but other than the one i tries, all the other bottles still have a ton of stuff floating in suspension. Will this all settle if given enough time?

Back