Preferred way to bump OG on cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbwolpert

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do a cider contest with my HBC. I have made a few ciders using juice not from concentrate then bumping OG (to 1.065 ) with 2lb of white sugar and 2 cans of fruit punch concentrate. But I feel like there is little apple taste left using this method. Just went threw a small class about cider with a few large cider brewers giving tips. None would really talk of how they bump OG or get to a ABV.

So the question what is your preferred way to bump OG and keep apple flavor/taste? Corn syrup, table sugar, apple juice concentrate from cans ect... And not make it feel like a dry white wine or
Also how to back sweeten there seems to be alot of info on back sweeten but again I want more apple flavor/taste with out killing the cider. Any input would be great.

I have recently been experimenting making a JK scrumpy clone by using apple juice concentrate in the cans to up the SG to a point I can ferment to 1.020-1.025 and still be about 7%(going to turn up my fridge to stop fermentation). So far, it is down to 1.036 and the taste is spot on. I have never liked using sugar in my ciders to up the abv, because I don't like the idea of adding something that won't contribute any flavor. I am also not a fan of having to age 6months to a year for something to be drinkable :p

The OG is just based on the sugar content of the juice/concentrate, and how much sugar (corn, table, brown etc.) you add to it.

http://www.drewsdirections.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Cider-recipe-template.xls

this has some common sugars etc. to give you a starting point.

To retain some sweetness and apple flavor, you can add juice after fermentation for bottling, but pasturize before it over carbs. There are lots of threads on how to do that.

Honey, add sweetness and body, if you use a light honey it will compliment the apple taste and not cover it, locust, clover, something light colored with a smooth sweet taste. WVMJ

So after reading a bit and Some PMs I went with this recipe. 5gallons Costco apple juice, 5 cans of albertsons concentrated apple juice, 0.8lb light brown sugar, 0.5tsp yeast nutrient.

Brown sugar has always been my go to method. I feel that it really compliments the taste of the apples and leaves behind some unfermentable sweetness.

Latest posts

Back