Prediction... anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBrewDC

Reaction score
So... I have brewed the infamous Breakfast of Champions oatmeal stout and according to the recipe, it is to ferment at 68*. Well... mine has not. Although my basement is at the perfect temperature, I failed to account for the heat produced during fermentation and did not catch it for approx. 36 hours. Since then during the primary... with my crazy schedule, the temps fluctuated between as high as 73/74 and a low of 66 (when I was able to get the wet towel and fan blowing on it consistently).

...and here is what I am wondering...

Does anyone have any ideas how this may change the flavor or any other attribute of this stout?

the fact that its a stout should help cover up potential off flavors. also i've fermented a little high before and didn't really get too many off flavors. my prediction: good beers, no need to worry.

what kind of yeast was it?

I feel extremely encouraged by both of your comments. Not so much because I am against straying from a recipe, trying something different or because I "worry".... but because I REALLY enjoy Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout and really wanted to brew something very similar. :)

i'm pretty sure that's the yeast i used on my first stout. i didn't have temperature control at the time so i fermented in a room that was about 69/70 so i'm sure the temperature of the beer got atleast as hot as yours did. i didn't get any off flavors in that beer. actually it was really good. its better to control your temperatures, but i really doubt you messed up your beer:mug:

You damn Yankees (sorry rycov, but by geography, you're Yankee to me too) are spoiled if your worried about temps over 74. I'm lucky to keep the cooling water in my swamp cooler below 68 let alone the fermenter. As far as I can tell (ale's only of course), with most yeasts you won't know the difference. Especially in a heavy stout.

I don't get worried until I see temps around 80.

I'll accept "Damn Yankee", if you accept that your either a steer or ..... nevermind, i'll just be a yankee:D

Latest posts

Back