Pre-plate chiller filter: Non Brewers Hardware DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
OK, I was thinking about re-purposing my beer filter as a pre-plate chiller Trub and Hops filter. The biggest problem that I found is that most cartridges that are sold do not have large enough openings, that I fear that it will clog pretty quickly...

I was thinking maybe use some SS Scrubbies in it? I looked for a sediment filter screen, and that won't work. Duda-Diesel Sells 400 and 600 micron SS mesh. I could maybe fab something up from that as well.

Anyone created their own? Also to help others concerns about the leaching of plastic chemicals, and tastes because of near boiling temps, do not be concerned... Its one of the heavy plastic ones that is rated for high temps.

OK, I was thinking about re-purposing my beer filter as a pre-plate chiller Trub and Hops filter. The biggest problem that I found is that most cartridges that are sold do not have large enough openings, that I fear that it will clog pretty quickly...

I was thinking maybe use some SS Scrubbies in it? I looked for a sediment filter screen, and that won't work. Duda-Diesel Sells 400 and 600 micron SS mesh. I could maybe fab something up from that as well.

Anyone created their own? Also to help others concerns about the leaching of plastic chemicals, and tastes because of near boiling temps, do not be concerned... Its one of the heavy plastic ones that is rated for high temps.

Wher did you see that it was designed or rated to be used for boiling temps?? I have ones of those myself and highy doubt that it was meant for anything but cold water as a prefilter. I have yet to see a filter that was designed for hot use either? There are other options which will work better and wont leech into the beer at temps above 170.

I attached a long stainless braided line (I removed from a new dishwasher feed line) to the end of my diptube which is coiled in the bottom of my kettle it works well to catch anything that gets past my stainless 300 micron hop spider...

they sell stainless screen on ebay cheap as well..I bought some before going another route.

Back