Pre-First Batch Ramblings (AG / Kolsch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suckmyale

Reaction score
So with summer approaching, HOPEFULLY anytime soon, I want to get a jump on a summer Kolsch. I LOVE Alaskan Summer, but I think I’m going to proceed with Ed’s Bee Cave Kolsch. Below is what I have laid out, tell me if I’m sane, and along the right track or completely out of my mind.

Experience:
4 G of Apfelwein in Primary (5G Food grade bucket, gamma lid, airlock (bubbling away))
4 G of Skeeter Pee in Primary (5G Food grade bucket, gamma lid, airlock (bubbling away))
Amber Ale Extract Kit (Not yet attempted, but now worried about that)
A LOT, and I mean A LOT of reading and printing out articles from HBT.

All Grain Plan (Kolsch Style)
I’m thinking of making 7 gallons for the following reasons:
- I can make 7 gallons and split it into (2) 5 Gallon Pails. Which will run me < $20
- I can then transfer into (2) 4 G water bottles for cold-crash in fridge. The 4G water bottles are easier to fit in fridge than pails or carboys.
- I then would use the Yeast cake, and follow Ed’s Octoberfest recipe.

I want to follow the instructions as closely as possible, as this will be first AG attempt. I realize that I would need to make a yeast starter, especially if I only use one vial of White Labs Kolsch.

I’m thinking about DIY stir plate, but buying one for $45 might be more worth my time.

I would rely on Northern Brewer for the grains and more importantly the crush.

Will 1 vial of yeast be enough for the Kolsch? I know that I need to make about 3L of starter (Intermittent Shaken) or 1.75L if using a stir plate.

I wasn’t thinking of using a blow off tube, just airlock. Anyone concerned of 3.5 G of Primary in a 5 G bucket?

Everything will be bottled. So after cold crash, I'll bottle condition in a 60ish degree basement.

Thoughts? Sorry I know its a lot, but figured it would be easier to put everything on the table, at least of what I'm thinking.

Back