Pre-Boil Wort Volume vs Top Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy5582

Reaction score
I have used a couple of kit 5 gal recipes. The instructions required 2.5 gal to be boiled and then top off to 5gal in in the primary fermenter. I am looking at recipes on hopville.com and their 5 gal recipes have pre-boil wort volume at 5.8 gal.

Would these recipes be affected by using a smaller amount to begin with to accommodate my smaller brew pan?

Thanks!

I was doing 2.5-3 gallon boils in my 5G SS kettle,but raised that to 3.5 gallons since starting PB/PM BIAB. I'd just use 2.5-3.5 gallon boil volume with the same amount of hops,etc. You'll be topping off th recipe volume anyway. Do late extract additions as well. This not only lightens color & gives cleaner flavor,but raises hop utilization as well,being a lighter wort at the start of the boil. By the time it's topped off,it'll be right. I do this all the time,since not everyone can or wants to do a full boil.

I was doing 2.5-3 gallon boils in my 5G SS kettle,but raised that to 3.5 gallons since starting PB/PM BIAB. I'd just use 2.5-3.5 gallon boil volume with the same amount of hops,etc. You'll be topping off th recipe volume anyway. Do late extract additions as well. This not only lightens color & gives cleaner flavor,but raises hop utilization as well,being a lighter wort at the start of the boil. By the time it's topped off,it'll be right. I do this all the time,since not everyone can or wants to do a full boil.

When you say to do late extract additions as well do you mean to split the extract amount, add 1/2 at the beginning of the boil and the other half late in the boil?

Thank you!

That,or about 1/3 at the begining,& the rest at flame out. When doing AE beers,I use 1.5-2lbs of plain DME in the 2.5-3.5 gallon boil for hop additions. The remainder at flame out. Gives good hop untilization,lighter color,& cleaner flavor. By cleaner I mean no "cooked extract" flavor.

Back