Pre-boil DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShackNasty

Reaction score
Is there anyone who has, or does, per-boil additions of DME to their "soon to be" wort? By per-boil I am referring to the time after steeping while the temp is working towards a boil. What are your experiences with this ?

I did this on my very first extract batch because I got impatient. As far as flavor and all that goes, I don't believe it effects the beer at all. In fact, IIRC the extensive boil time isn't for anything but the hops - otherwise we could just throw cold ingredients into a carboy and pitch yeast, much like apfelwein. But the hops provide different qualities depending on when they're added. The only difference I believe you'll see with a pre-boil addition is a darker beer when compared side-by-side with a late-extract addition.

Awesome ! Thank you for the insight ! I am going to be playing around with this a little I think.

What you describe is the method I have used for extract beers for 23 years... so, yeah, it works just fine :)

I am glad to hear that it can be done, repeatedly, without any adverse consequences. I will be attempting this in a little while. Thank you for the input and reassurance !

Especially when it comes to DME (vs LME), I prefer to add it earlier rather than later. The DME can start to boil over if it's added later, requiring a closer monitoring of the level.

Latest posts

Back