PPG of Flaked Potatoes??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
I just got done brewing a beer that I am calling "Spudweiser" as it is an adjunct lager. However, when checking my brewhouse efficiency I came up with a little over 90% which is much higher than my usual 78-80%. When I was doing my recipe I plugged it in as flaked rice as the ppg I found online for potato flakes should have been similar to both flaked rice and flaked corn. Recipe is as follows:

7lbs 2 row
4 oz acidulated malt
1.67 lbs of instant Walmart brand potato flakes.

OG came up to 1.051

I tasted the wort and it was very clean tasting. I am guessing that potato may lend a more neutral flavor than either corn or rice does. It converted perfectly fine and in my experience better than the other flaked grains I have done in the past. I'm thinking the ppg is more like rice syrup solids or slightly less than corn sugar. No way my efficiency jumps that much. If we are using flaked rice in that equation then that is like 92% brewhouse. No way... You plug in rice syrup or some form of sugar and it gets back down in my usual range. Very interesting to say the least. Can't wait to try it out.

I don't have any helpful input, but I love the name and I think I'll have to try brewing something similar! :mug:

We used potato flakes when we made our Clam Chowder Saison. I even have pics of John Palmer pouring them into the mash! I'll try to dig up the potential.

This might help you figure it out based on the carbohydrate and serving size info on the box... It's from my bottling stickey about how to calculate how much "alternative sugars" like fruit juice, or liqeur or hard candy when trying to prime a batch of beer with something like it.... It's based on this basic brewing podcast...

From the thread.

I figured out the calculation for using Jaggery Mollasses from Bangladesh to prime my Sri-lankin stout.

Basically what you need to do is look for the sugar or carbhydrate amount in the syrup and the serving size, they are defining it by.

You also want to first calculate how much corn sugar you would normally use to carb to whatever style you are aiming for, then convert that to grams. Then based on the amount of sugar (OR CARBOHYDRATES if sugars is not listed, which on some products labels they don't) per whatever serving size they give, you then will know how much of the stuff to use..

Ie, my stout I want to carb to 2.45 volumes of co2, which measures out to 4.3 oz of corn sugar at 70 degrees.

That works out to 121.9 grams....

That works our to about 5/8 of a cup. I will add that to enough water to get to 2 cups and boil it.

If you CAN'T find any nutritional info (which by law I thought it has to be posted somethwere) you're going to have to fudge it...

Listen to the podcast for a better explantaion..

So yeah you should be able to get a ROUGH, number if you play around with the math based on that label info. :mug:

I also just found this, I think on a healthy eating/diabetes website... but it;s how to convert carb info/serving size into amount of sugar... then multiply that by the total amount you used.... and from that you get the ppg...

Here’s an easy calculation you can do to see how much “sugar” you actually eat.

Posted January 31, 2013 by Lisa Gleason in Food News, Wellness Check. Leave a Comment

sugar spoonfulWould you eat 10 teaspoons of sugar? Would you even eat one teaspoon of sugar?

If you drink a can of pop, you are consuming about 10 teaspoons of sugar.
If you eat a cup of plain whole wheat pasta you are consuming about 6 teaspoons of sugar

Below is a calculation you can do to determine how many teaspoons of sugar are in the foods you eat.

But first a few important notes:

1) All sugars come from carbohydrates

2) All carbohydrates break down into sugar in the body

3) Not all carbohydrates are created equal. Vegetables are wonderful carbohydrates. Foods made with flour and/or sugar are NOT!

4) The more fiber a carbohydrate has the better. Fiber slows down the rate at which the sugar is released into the blood stream

Here’s the calculation: (this calc is not perfectly exact but close enough to use as a general rule)
1) Grab a food label and find the amount of total carbohydrate in grams
2) Subtract the fiber grams
3) Divide the result by 5
4) The answer you get is the number of teaspoons of sugar that you will ingest from the carbohydrate in one serving of that particular food

So how much sugar do we need? At any given time of the day we need about one teaspoon of sugar in our blood stream to keep all systems stable. To do this we need to ingest roughly 10-12 teaspoons of sugar a day. No, not table sugar. The sugars we need are naturally occuring in high quality carbohydrates like veggies, whole fruit, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, etc.

On average, we in the United States take in about 35-40 teaspoons of sugar per day. With many people ingesting upwards of 100 teaspoons of sugar a day. This is unacceptable and extremely unhealthy. Sugar in excess is toxic, highly inflammatory and addictive. Excess sugar is a major cause (if not the cause) of just about every chonic health condition and epidemic this country faces.

We all need to be more aware of what we eat. Start by becoming a label reader. Better yet, eat foods that don’t come with nutrition labels. Ever seen a nutrition label on a piece of salmon? Or broccoli?

Here are a few more examples of the sugar content of certain foods: (these are averages, your brand may vary)

Cup of raw spinach (1 gram carb, 1 gram fiber) = 0 teaspoons of sugar
8 oz orange juice (26 grams carb, 0 fiber) = 5 teaspoons sugar
One slice whole wheat flour bread (12 grams carb, 2 grams fiber) = 2 teaspoons sugar

It's going to give you the answers in teaspoons.. then you have to figure out how many of those you used in your batch.

3 teaspoons 1 tablespoon 1/2 ounce
2 tablespoons 1/8 cup 1 ounce
4 tablespoons 1/4 cup 2 ounces
5 1/3 tablespoons 1/3 cup 2.6 ounces
8 tablespoons 1/2 cup 4 ounces

The answer is 1.002, assuming you can solublize the starches in the potato (right temperature) then use enzymes to convert to sugars.

According to the label I show below, 23g of flakes contains 1g of sugar. Dividing, that means it's about 4.3% sugar.

Now, if you add a pound of PURE SUGAR to your recipe, it's a SG of 1.046. So I postulate that the potato flakes are 4.3% of pure sugar: (does gravity points math here --> ) 46* 0.043 = 2. So, specific gravity of 1.002. You'd plug that into beersmith.

If the numbers I show are wrong per your label, adjust. But it isn't much contribution to the fermentables.

MashedPotatoesLabel.jpg

You got my wheels turning ..i wanna make a basil beer

Will the 2 row enzymes break down some of the carbs in the potato to sugars?

The answer is 1.002, assuming you can solublize the starches in the potato (right temperature) then use enzymes to convert to sugars.

According to the label I show below, 23g of flakes contains 1g of sugar. Dividing, that means it's about 4.3% sugar.

Now, if you add a pound of PURE SUGAR to your recipe, it's a SG of 1.046. So I postulate that the potato flakes are 4.3% of pure sugar: (does gravity points math here --> ) 46* 0.043 = 2. So, specific gravity of 1.002. You'd plug that into beersmith.

If the numbers I show are wrong per your label, adjust. But it isn't much contribution to the fermentables.

My guess is that it broke down all the starches in the potatoes quite easily and that the flaked potatoes are similar to using corn starch. Flaked potatoes seem to be completely starch so it will lend more sugar after conversion than any other flaked adjunct. When I substitute in ingredients that have around 40 or so ppg my efficiency comes back down to within reason.

The way I look at the numbers on the label there, I assume that after all conversion that's the amount of sugars. So no.

But you might be right, some of the carbs there are starches that will get converted to sugars. I really don't know.

I can definitely vouch for fermentability of this wort as it already went from 1.051 to 1.010 in 4 days with one packet of 34/70. Taste is very clean so far.

I found 35 ppg in my research also but I'm thinking it is higher in reality unless I really did get extremely high efficiency.

Latest posts

Back