Povidone-iodine as sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojinakata

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have Povidone-iodine solution available to me and since iodophors can be used as a sanitizer, I wanted to know if Povidone-iodine can also be used as well? And if yes, in what concentration? Should it be rinsed?

Edit: my Povidone-iodine solution is %10.

Povidone-iodine is an anti-septic. It can be used to sanitize, but would require heavy rinsing. It has an awful taste. There are also precautions for long term use in general and use by pregnant women. Star-San is effective, no rinse, and inexpensive since it can be stored for reuse.

Povidone-iodine is an anti-septic. It can be used to sanitize, but would require heavy rinsing. It has an awful taste. There are also precautions for long term use in general and use by pregnant women. Star-San is effective and inexpensive since it can be stored for reuse.

I found an article in BYO that defines iodophor as "solution consisting of elemental iodine that is complexed to a carrier such as PVP". In the wikipedia page of Povidone-iodine it states "Povidone-iodine (PVP-I) is a stable chemical complex of polyvinylpyrrolidone (povidone, PVP) and elemental iodine."
As a result, I think that these iodophor and Povidone-iodine are the same. Maybe a more dilute solution is needed to lower the percentage of iodine to make it the same level as iodophor.

I just buy iodine wound spray from the local ranch store. The FDA recommended concentration for sanitizing is 12.5 - 25ppm. I calculated that 25ppm is about 50mL of 1% solution in 5 gallons of water. One gallon of the stuff costs about $13 and lasts a very long time. Sounds like you could do the same with your solution. I've used this method for almost three years and only had one infection, but that was from fruit flies.

Just use V = (0.0025*19L)/XX% where XX is the concentration of your solution, 0.0025 is 25ppm as a percentage, 19L is approximately 5 gallons, and V is the volume of your solution you need to add to five gallons of water. This can be easily adapted to different volumes, like for spray bottles, but then you start getting to the point that you almost need a pipette to measure it out.

I know this is an old post but reading through posts on using 1% Iodine, I came across this calculation. I'm not one for "Pour in until you get a straw color" so I wanted to setup a spread sheet to calculate different concentrations and different amount of sanitizer. I'm not getting 50mL of 1% solution at 25PPM for 5 gal. Is there maybe some units that are assumed that I'm missing ???

***I have it working.... Not sure how to delete the post***

Last edited:
Back