Pour out some home brew!?!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnutt73

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just had a thought and wonder if has been thought of (or if anyone else has done this). So while I brew I have a few home brews right we all do I'm sure.
It hits me What better way to pay respects to the craft brew I have in hand then to put a glass in my new batch!!
Now that may be the home brew talking but I doubt it I do not par take to much while brewing.
But has anyone done this? What would come of the new batch? It would kill the yeast in the beer since I would add it to the wort.
Would it give a off flavor? Or would you notice it at all?
So many question and no answers. I know someone else out there has had this though or heck even tried it.
What happened? :mug:

I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't even notice, it's the proverbial drop in a bucket. On that note, I will not be the one to test the hypothesis!!

How many beers in were you when you came up with this idea?

I read about a homebrew club somewhere that brewed a pilsner, I believe, and used Bud as the mash water. Turned out pretty good from what I read. One glass, though, probably won't be noticeable.

There's a thread if you search for it of someone thinking about using beer as brewing water. I couldn't see any issue arriving from doing so post mash/pre boil), and even with an all-grain beer I doubt one pint would have enough of an effect that you could probably add it to the mash without any impact. You wouldn't taste it, that's for sure. But as a sacrifice to the beer gods, why the hell not?

There's a thread if you search for it of someone thinking about using beer as brewing water. I couldn't see any issue arriving from doing so post mash/pre boil), and even with an all-grain beer I doubt one pint would have enough of an effect that you could probably add it to the mash without any impact. You wouldn't taste it, that's for sure. But as a sacrifice to the beer gods, why the hell not?

IMO, sacrifices to the beer gods are only in order when something goes wrong and you make said sacrifice to ensure the beer turns out OK. The last time I had that come up was when I was brewing a DIPA for NHC and dropped a pair of mostly unsanitized scissors into the fermenter full of wort immediately prior to pitching the yeast.

You could be on to something, though. Occasional sacrifices might keep anything bad from happening in the first place.

It's really no different than pouring a yeast starter in without decanting. 1.5 L starter is about 4-12 oz beers. I've made plenty of good brews doing this.

Yeah I guess it would not impart much of a flavor to the new brew. Guess It would be as Qhrumphf Said a Sacrifice to the brew Gods. Which may not be a bad Idea. Again I just feel like some brews should live on I guess is where this thought came from. I know I can make it again but maybe I want it to live on through its younger siblings? I may be onto something or I may be board you be the judge.

That's a cool idea. It's always disappointing to drink the last of one of your great batches. Although if it is a great one, I may not be willing to sacrifice a whole bottle.

Latest posts

Back