Potted Rhizomes ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounds

Reaction score
I planted rhizomes in 2 Gallon pots a few weeks ago. Have them coming out of the ground now.

My main reason for doing this was to increase the number of rhizomes or harvesting MORE rhizomes than I planted. Or take roots that have 'nubs' on them that will turn into more plants.

Will this work? How long will it take before I can harvest MORE than I planted?

In other words, I put 2 good rhizomes per 2 Gallon pot under lights. My idea is to grow the plants for 2 Months til the pot is totally getting filled. THEN re-plant outside but possibly harvest 4 or more rhizomes or plants per pot.

ANy experience here? Or will I simply get the same number of plants but with larger root system?

Thanks

I may be off base but I don't think that a freshly planted rhizome will be dividable before next season. Pretty sure they need to go through their motions for a year before you chop them up. However by next spring I imagine that you could get at least 3 or 4 new rhizomes from them.

You will not get more rhizomes in just 1 or 2 months, that's for sure. But you can cut some bines and root them, then you will be able to end up with more small crown (plants) by the end of summer.

Second year at least from a new Rhizome. You might be able to get one of the new bines to root like a cutting. A 2 gallon pot is small go to at least a 5-7 gallon pot. 5 gallon pails work pretty well if you put a couple of drain holes in them and next year thin out the rhizomes or plant it into a larger container.

Back