Potentially Dumb Question - Mashing and Brewing on Different Days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CenturyStanding

Reaction score
So, I just got my new mash tun and liquor tank built and am dying to try out my first all-grain recipe. I have a quick question, though, that might be dumb.

Would it be possible, for time saving purposes, to mash one day, then pour the wort into a vessel and air lock it, then actually brew it the next day? Does that run the risk of too many gross things happening to the wort overnight? Or would any bad stuff be remedied by the boil?

I ask because, if I need to do everything in one shot, it'll be a few weeks until I have a full free day to get it done. If I can split the processes, I could do it after work and start brewing as early as Monday.

Thanks for the help.

People do it. It has been discussed many times on HBT, search the site for reference. That being said I personally don't or wouldn't do it. I would have patience and wait for time to do it as a one day process.

Good luck!

It's going to sour. Unless you want some tartness from lacto, it's best to mash/boil consecutively.

There are a number of threads on the subject and it is doable. I commonly mash in the early morning and then continue with the boil 8-10 hours later.

The biggest problem you can run into is lactobacillus (or other bugs) souring your wort in the meantime. To combat this, make sure you bring your wort up to 180F or so to pasteurize, then cover to keep clean and let sit till you brew.

I've had no problems.

I tried it. Epic fail.

care to elaborate? i do it more often than not, as per the process described above. never a problem....the beers are uniformly good.

is it ideal? i would never argue that it is. but if this is the only way the OP can cobble together the time to brew at this point, my experience would lead me to recommend it.

I mashed last night and boiled this morning. The wort sat in the keggle from 9pm to 8am. Everything seems fine to me.

Back