Potential revolutionary failure...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
I have a RyePA fermenting away right now, and I was thinking, 'What can I do to make this different?' I still have to dry hop it in the secondary, but I was wondering what the brewing world thought of bottle conditioning with a hop flower in the bottle? I wouldn't do it with all of the bottles.... But I thought it might be interesting. I was planning on putting the hop in a cheese cloth bag before I dropped it in the bottle.
My other thought was to serve the beer with a hop flower in the glass.
Just an idea, and I am definately open to criticism, but constructive criticism only please.... I don't want my tears to spoil the flavor of my beer.
Thanks

You mean to say that I am not the visionary I thought I was? Balls.
Not sure why it would give a grassy flavor though, is it because of all the concentrated hop oils in a small container? That is the only reason I can think of it not being just like dry hoping.

Not to derail this thread, but I thought the op would be interested. There is a small brewery here in Colo that is doing what they call hop infusions. The customer orders a beer and they also receive some whole hops and a French press. The customers can then decide how much hop infusion they want. So far it has become very popular.

You mean to say that I am not the visionary I thought I was? Balls.
Not sure why it would give a grassy flavor though, is it because of all the concentrated hop oils in a small container? That is the only reason I can think of it not being just like dry hoping.

because of prolonged exposure to the dry hops - people report grassiness if dry hopping for more than 2 weeks

if you were force carbing then bottling and drinking the bottles soon it may not be an issue but with bottle conditioning you would have the hop in there for 2-3+ weeks

New Glarus had a beer a few years back that had a hop cone in each bottle... too bad I don't remember the name or the taste lol. I don't THINK I remember it being THAT bad, but clearly it didn't stand out enough to remember. Why don't you experiment and try it with a six pack and taste one every two weeks to see if it does in fact impart said grassy flavors. Worst that happens is you drink six less than perfect beers, whoops.

Back