Potential Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fall123

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m still pretty new to home brewing and would like to make my own recipe rather than a kit. I have some left over ingredients from a kit I did awhile back that I had to scrap because my thermometer broke in the boil. Not sure if my leftover ingredients would work well with some of the other ingredients I bought. Let me know how u think this would be? Hoping for a nice sessionable “summer ale”

Glacier hops for bittering 1oz
Fuggle for flavor and aroma 2oz
Cites for dry hopping (5 days) 1 oz

2 row malt grains
Golden light malt extract

Greetings, @Fall123! And welcome to the forums! :mug:

Assuming sufficient amounts of the base malt and extract to make for a reasonable Original Gravity, that's a pretty solid set of ingredients for a nice light ale perfect for the season.

What are your plans for yeast?

Cheers!

[edit] Just back-of-the-napkin calculation - and assuming a five gallon batch - given the totality of the IBUs available from your hops, you should keep the Original Gravity in the low 40s - like 1.040-1.045 so as not to overrun the bittering. Ie: if you dry-hop the Citra (I assume that's the "Cites") it's not going to add any bittering, leaving the ounce of Glacier (assumed 60 minutes) and the Fuggles (I'd add them at 10 minutes).

With that scheme the IBUs are going to end up around 30, which is enough for a better-than-boring-lawnmower-beer...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

For yeast I was going to use SafAle S-04 English Ale.

I planned to use 1lb grains, 5lbs dry extract, I think that will give me a decent original gravity.

Final questions, what differences in flavor will I see if add all the Fuggles at 10 minutes vs 1 oz at 10 and 1 oz at 5? Also, if I dry hop 1 oz of citra (5 gallon batch) for 5 days, will that make much of a difference or would you recommend leaving them in the fermenter for longer?

Thanks

Depending on just fast you can chill the batch I doubt you would notice the difference between splitting the Fuggles or just using both ounces at 10 or 5. Either way will work.

5 days dry hopping is plenty, you could even knock a day off that if needed...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back