Potential acetobacter issue, yeast OK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexLaCroix

Reaction score
I have a bucket of stout I worked really hard on, and I'm pretty sure it's reached FG, but there's a smell to it that doesn't seem right. I'm going to try putting it in secondary for a while to see if it subsides. Two questions:

1) The smell I think is similar to vinegar, all I can pair it to is an early batch that didn't turn out right. Could anyone describe the difference between the smell from hops oxidation, acetobacter, or chlorine that wasn't successfully removed (I used potassium metabisulfite and boiled a bit, but still keeping all potentials on the table)?

2) If, hypothetically, it was the acetobacter, would I still be able to rinse and dry the yeast for a different batch, or is it all or nothing?

If anything, a transfer to secondary will open you up to a greater chance of infection or oxidation, if you don't already have a problem.

If you suspect the beer is infected, then the yeast layer are infected, too. Do yourself a favor and start fresh.

If you haven't been opening the fermenter the chances of acetobacter are very low. Acetaldehyde is more likely and to some people it smells a bit like vinegar. Give the right conditions the yeast will clear that up right in your primary fermenter. Time and temperature are the conditions the yeast need. Warm the beer to low 70's and give it a few more days.

Back