Potato Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoHox

Compulsive Hand Washer
Reaction score
I had some potatoes on hand from this fall's garden and wanted to try out a potato wine. I found a few recipes online, but most described almost a potato partial mash, just steeping the potatoes. I wanted to try converting potato starches.

I used 2.5lbs of reds, 2.5lbs blues, and 3lbs of small russets.

Washed and scrubbed all potatoes, then chopped and added to large stock pot.

Added water to cover chopped potatoes and boiled for 20 minutes.

After boiling, I mashed the chopped potatoes up until I had a pretty even consistency.

I boiled the soupy mixture again for 20 minutes for starch gelatinization, and cooled to 150F.

Once cooled, I added 1/4 tsp beano, 1/4 tsp amylase, 1/4 tsp pectinase, 4 tsp acid blend, and held at 150F for 14 hours. Post mash gravity was 1.034, but there was a lot of junk in suspension.

Once the mash time had completed, I strained out all the potato gunk, then passed the must through a paper filter (which took forever, filtering mashed potatoes is hard it so happens).

I transferred the must back to the stock pot, added 2 lbs dark brown sugar (should have used light, or just cane, the must is dark brown now), 12 oz honey, and warmed to 180F. Gravity at this point was 1.088 (I was shooting for 1.090 so I stopped here). The must tastes like honey on cooked potatoes, which I find delicious, and smells similar. I know much of the honey flavor won't stick around though.

Cooled must to 70F, transferred to 2-1 gal glass jugs and added EC-1118 yeast. Fermentation temperature is 65F.

I plan on keeping the wine in primary for ~2-3 months, then racking and sulfiting every 2-3 months after that. From other recipes I understand that this wine will take a long time to mature, and then it is only good for a short period of time. I guess I will find out.

Next time I will do an iodine test throughout the mash, for a better representation of what is actually occurring. I might also add more enzymes, just to make sure there is enough floating around, I know I did not convert everything, but I would like some measure of what I did convert.

Also, before I added the dark brown sugar, the must was a light golden color which was great, then I turned it into dirt with the sugar, so I won't do that again. I will update the tasting notes when I rack.

Still in primary. It will probably stay there for another 2-3 months. It is crystal clear and a nice reddish gold color.

Finally had a taste test today. Gravity is 1.014 and there is quite a bit of earthy flavored body, very similar to the mouthfeel after eating raw potatoes.

Very little sweetness, vegetal flavor and aroma, crystal clear dark copper-red color, some hot alcohol notes at the front.

I added 1 campden tab/gal and racked to another vessel. This one still needs some more time to condition. I will probably bottle in a month or so and continue to age.

Sounds like a good way to get botulism

I don't think there is a good way to get botulism.

Fortunately, I boiled my 'taters. And between the low pH, high ABV, and sulfites, I'm probably good.

As much risk as canned corn, peppers, green beans, soups, beets, asparagus, mushrooms, ripe olives, spinach, tuna fish, chicken and chicken livers and liver pate, and luncheon meats, ham, sausage, stuffed eggplant, lobster, and smoked and salted fish. And I love those things.

Sounds like a good way to get botulism

That made me laugh because that comment was not expected.

I am sure the wine is fine to drink.

I admire the use of odd ingredients to make a wine. One of my best experiments which I want to duplicate soon was corn cob wine. Sounds like potato wine may not be half bad. I would probably go a little lower gravity and a different yeast to reduce the alcohol hot tastes but this will probably be good around the 8-10 month mark. Good luck and keep us posted.

It looks interesting. May be worth a try to see side by side against your potato wine that was mashed over this one that does not convert the starches.

I don't think you could get botulism, due to the alcohol presence (not the boiling, which doesn't kill spores).

I saw that recipe when I was researching this batch.

I also found this one. The citrus seemed like an interesting addition. This one is kind of similar.

I took the approach of preparing a non-distilled poitin (irish potato vodka). I wanted it to be pretty high ABV with strong potato flavor. Based on taste tests, this will take a while to age and blend. I will keep updating as it progresses.

Latest posts

Back