Potassium metabisulfite in my Welch's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flboy

Reaction score
Getting ready to try my hand at Welch's white wine. I just realized all of it contains Potassium metabisulfite. Am I OK? Will it ferment?

I guess it depends on how much. I'm pretty sure that camp den tablets are potassium meta bisulphate. And we add that to unpasteurized cider, then wait a day or two and then ferment successfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Agree with Phug. But you could make a small starter, then use it if fermentation takes off.

It should be fine. Just don't add any more when you mix up the must, and stir the must well before you add yeast.

Wine yeast is extremely tolerant of sulfites- that's why winemakers use them.

Yup no problems. I have done it many times. Just aerate well and stir twice daily after pitching yeast. It will be fine.

Yup no problems. I have done it many times. Just aerate well and stir twice daily after pitching yeast. It will be fine.

Awesome!
Part 2 question, I just put the batch together, 4 gallons Welch's white grape and 2 11.5 cans of Welch's concentrate. SG is 1.072. I would rather not add any sugar, even tho most recipes call for it. Want a bit more grape flavor. At this SG I should be good?
Also, did not know about the stirring, contrary to beer brewing, thank you!

When I do white grape peach Welche's wines I add concentrate to an OG of 1.080 and it is great. So you may not be bad at all. If anything just add a bit more concentrate. Like 1 can and that should be plenty.

Back