Potassium metabisulfite and sorbate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatsCradle

Reaction score
I read that to backsweeten a cider you should add potassium metabisulfite wait for 12 hours, add potassium sorbate wait for 48 hrs than add the sugars. My question is if I added the potassium metibisulfite do I have to add the sorbate after 12 hrs or can I wait maybe weeks or months before adding the sorbate and eventually backsweeten. I ask because I want to add metabisulfite to all my ciders to ensure wild yeast is killed and oxidation avoided, however, Im still unsure which ciders to sweeten hence the delayed use of sorbate. Does spreading out the two chemicals make them less effective?

Please fact check me on this because it’s roughly from memory.

The reason you see literature that says to stagger them is more of a grape wine thing. Adding potassium sorbate before metabisulfite can contribute off flavors. In my experience. Adding them at the same time has no negative effect.

Last edited:
Back