Pot size in relation to efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of, when I get the money, of gettin a real rig for my brewing. What I'm wondering is if I get a brew rig with 2 10 gallon pots and a 15 gallon pot- for future big volume beer- can I also do a regular 5 gallon recipe?

Yes. I mash in a 10 gallon cooler and boil in a keggle. So far I've only done 5 gallon batches.

Sent from somewhere using Home Brew

I have an 8-gallon kettle and the boil alone is pushing it for 5-gallon batches. I also do no sparge BIAB, so it's really too small for 5 gallons. I'd recommend 10 gallon kettles for 5 gallon batches. 15 gallons would make life easier even for 5 gallon batches. Bear in mind that you're going to boil off 1-2 gallons during the boil, plus BIABers lose a good fraction of a gallon to the grain absorption. And you really want a good amount of head space for the hot break. Then there's the expansion of the wort when it gets hot. It all adds up. I don't think it's possible to have too large a kettle.

Ok just checking on that cause I want to do 5 gallon batches right now and then eventually do a 10 gallon batch

I'd bump it up to all 15's if you can. A big beer like a barley wine will push the limits on a 10 gallon MLT even for a five gallon batch.

It's never big enough. I have a 42 quart and wish I'd gone bigger.

lol. Yea I don't want to be kicking myself later by not getting a big enough pot.

Back