Pot Filling Cam-Lock Adapter w/Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrizzell

Reaction score
While brewing on my brew stand setup a few weeks ago, I realized I needed a better way to fill my pots than just dropping the hose in and turning the valve on at the wall.

I have cam-lock quick connects on all my pots, so I came up with the following.

image-3933792233.jpg

There's a B type Cam-Lock fitting, a garden hose to female 1/2" NPT adapter and an inline garden hose shutoff valve.

Assembled it looks like this.

image-3627578307.jpg

I can now attach this to the return port on any of my three pots and fill the pot without holding a hose or running back to the wall to shut the water off.

Connected to the pot, it looks like this.

image-934830621.jpg

Nothing majorly innovative, but something that will make the brew day a little easier.

Nice, I have something not as ellegant. My GH has a quick disconnect without automatic shutoff (water won't flow unless a male QD is connected), so I reduce the 3/4' thread of the male GH Qd down to 1/2" and the into a camlock. I think it is a bit messier when it comes to connecting/disconnect than yours though :D

I built something similar.
sure does make it nice to hook up to a vessel without worry of the hose falling off.
I have mine mounted to a filter on my brew stand. I control flow with a ball valve mounted to the filter. I can get flow down to about a gallon per minute. That way, I know my filter is working.
see this link.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-brew-stand-317966/index11.html#post5056323

Nice, I have something not as ellegant. My GH has a quick disconnect without automatic shutoff (water won't flow unless a male QD is connected), so I reduce the 3/4' thread of the male GH Qd down to 1/2" and the into a camlock. I think it is a bit messier when it comes to connecting/disconnect than yours though :D

Wow, a whole thread of people on the same page as me right now...

I'll have to post pictures of mine. I've got a garden hose quick disconnect to NPT adapter which goes on a Camlock fitting, too.

I bought a garden hose "Y" connector with built-in valves which splits my "water in" to either my HLT, or my chiller, or both. It has on/off valves built into it so that I don't have to go around the corner to the spigot to turn it on/off. I attach my water-in camlock to my HLT's whirlpool fitting while I fill and just leave the water out connected to Pump #1's "in".

I didn't realize that 2 of the garden hose quick disconnects had the "automatic shut off" feature; they seem to actually only allow liquid flow in one direction and on Saturday the "water out" side of my immersion chiller was NOT allowing the flow out and I had a LOT of pressure coming in, the vinyl tubing (not reinfoced) on my wort chiller's OUT swelled up to about 3" in diameter before I realized it and then EXPLODED violently around my (happily water resistent and GFCI protected) electric control panel.

-Ran around knocking out the auto shutoff inserts in the garden hose quick disconnects to make sure THAT doesn't happen again.

Adam

Ok here's mine:

Garden hose quick disconnect with plastic garden hose to NPT adapter to Camlock:
1397980_10152146239041929_1029097685_o.jpg

Assembled and installed on kettle whirlpool ball valve:
1403557_10152146239021929_858512764_o.jpg

Garden hose Y adapter with valves on the output side:
903524_10152146239611929_668528581_o.jpg

I just connect the water in to the QD on the inlet of the Y and one Y output goes to the HLT for filling via the hose to camlock connection and the other Y goes to my wort chiller.

Adam

Interesting. I put a barbed male cam lock connection on the flexible PVC hose coming off my filter. I use my silicone hoses with female cam locks as jumpers to the male fittings on the kettle. I control flow with the valve on the filter. Just have t be sure to shut it before shutting the valve on the kettle or the silicone hose will balloon up frighteningly.

LandoLincoln said:
By the way, you can chop that excess tubing off of your sight glass pretty easy with a tubing cutter or a hacksaw, so your lid won't bump into it. Just a thought.

Ha! It's on my to do list.

I have one of these, but mine has a male camlock instead of the female. I hook it up to a brewing hose then hook that to a pot. That way I can also use it to clean my hoses at the end of the brew day.

I have one of these, but mine has a male camlock instead of the female. I hook it up to a brewing hose then hook that to a pot. That way I can also use it to clean my hoses at the end of the brew day.

I thought of doing this as well but decided not to because of how easy it would be to rupture the silicone hose with household pressure. I almost ruptured one already by supply hooking the supply line to a pump to clean and backflush while chilling with CFC. The pressure created from the CFC alone was enough to ruin a hose. That thing swelled up like on a cartoon!

I thought of doing this as well but decided not to because of how easy it would be to rupture the silicone hose with household pressure. I almost ruptured one already by supply hooking the supply line to a pump to clean and backflush while chilling with CFC. The pressure created from the CFC alone was enough to ruin a hose. That thing swelled up like on a cartoon!

In my limited experience, as long as you don't close off any valves upstream of the hose, it will be fine. But I have made the mistake of closing off the valve on the kettle to stop flow. You're right. Cartoonish.

By the way, you can chop that excess tubing off of your sight glass pretty easy with a tubing cutter or a hacksaw, so your lid won't bump into it. Just a thought.

Tip: A dremel tool will cut through it like butter, but exactly like butter (it will melt it almost instantly and you'll have to scrape out the melted plastic from the inside.)

Adam

Latest posts

Back