Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Like Dad! Now what's wrong with that. I smoked plenty of candy cigarettes when I was a kid (the wintergreen ones with the red dyed tip were my favorite brand).

I would only load brown m&M's in that thing. It's much more realistic. There has got to be a Tootsie roll dispensor out there somewhere (like an upside down PEZ?)

It's sad that you can't find candy cigarettes anymore. I actually loved the flavor of them. Same with the bubblegum ones.

I know! They were good and only a nickel a pack. The bubblegum ones I remember were wrapped in paper with some kind of powder inside so you could blow out a puff. Then there were the bubblegum cigars...best bubblegum ever!

I know! They were good and only a nickel a pack. The bubblegum ones I remember were wrapped in paper with some kind of powder inside so you could blow out a puff. Then there were the bubblegum cigars...best bubblegum ever!

yeah that was the thing, the gum in both of them were the best.

bubble_gum_cigars.jpg

Still available but probably not the same :(

Just Like Dad! Now what's wrong with that. I smoked plenty of candy cigarettes when I was a kid (the wintergreen ones with the red dyed tip were my favorite brand).

I would only load brown m&M's in that thing. It's much more realistic. There has got to be a Tootsie roll dispensor out there somewhere (like an upside down PEZ?)

We did the same thing. They sold them in ice cream trucks so we would buy them then stand around pretending to smoke.

bubble_gum_cigars.jpg

Still available but probably not the same :(

To my surprise, bubblegum cigars have been a big hit in my neighborhood at halloween.

On Halloween when I give out Trick-or-Treat candy at home I generally make Halloween treat bags ... as my parents did when I was small.

In the bags besides a couple obligatory Pixie Stix, I include some small items, some medium, and one large item. I'd stamp the bag with Halloween greetings and my address.

The small items include a few of variously rootbeer barrels, Zotz, squirrels, maryjanes, Brachs Neopolitan Sundays (those brown, pink and white ones) ... two mediums items include the smallest size of Bottle Caps, Razzles or Milk Duds, a couple Nik-L-Nips, or a couple Batts, and the big item is usually a Charms Blow-pop, wax lips or a Bubblegum Cigar.

When I was new to the neighborhood; when I started giving the cigars I wondered if parents would protest ... but I was told by a couple neighbors that they the cigars were a big hit and lead to talks about when daddy was young and would go trick-or-treating etc.

Besides the bags I keep a backup of a big bowl of popcorn balls and generally offer them to parents.

Yep, it's expensive. But I think that Halloween, especially in this day and age of telling children to run away screaming from people who might ask simple directions etc; for a kid, the idea of being able to go up to strangers houses and get candy is a magical idea ... a reinforcement to kids that there is "good for good's sake" in this world.
I digress. Anyway, the cigars are a big hit.

We did the same thing. They sold them in ice cream trucks so we would buy them then stand around pretending to smoke.
speaking of ice cream trucks ... I've been jones'in for years to restore a classic ice cream truck ... they're not easy to find and not cheap though.
2dlk9ab.jpg

1phxdh.jpg

(the top is a 1966 and the bottom a 1967)

And hey, ice cream trucks get the chicks ...
16m4088.jpg

"Good humor" yah you betcha.

To me, the sound of the ice cream truck's bells is really nostalgic.
But if I hear our neighborhood's current ice cream man playing his Hip-Hop versions of "It's a Small World" and "Hickory Dickory Dock" over the loudspeaker, coming down my street every day again this summer, as they say on the streets, I'm fitn'a bust. Square biz. Bring back the bells.

A very cool all-terrain ice cream truck .... Would go over well with people who work the deep woods in the heat of summer ... like Smoke Jumpers - set down the pulaski and have an ice cream.

A new ice cream suggestion ... thinkin back to the 1970's with a brand name like Mr. Natural might I suggest someone should come up with an ice cream called "Purple Microdot" ... vanilla with tiny purple, grape flecks ... kind of like an orange creamsicle but grape. I understand it was a flavor of, uh, um ... somthingorother, don't quite recall. Ah, just sayin. Sounds delicious.

To me, the sound of the ice cream truck's bells is really nostalgic.
But if I hear our neighborhood's current ice cream man playing his Hip-Hop versions of "It's a Small World" and "Hickory Dickory Dock" over the loudspeaker, coming down my street every day again this summer, as they say on the streets, I'm fitn'a bust. Square biz. Bring back the bells.

We have three different trucks (mini-vans) that run my neighborhood but the funniest is the guy in the turban who plays Christmas music all year long!

If Chuck Norris drove an ice cream truck it would be off the chain rugged like that one.
Where there's trouble there's ........ Mr. Natural ICE-1
124vo8g.jpg

The other day my kids saw one of these.

Fallout_Shelter_Sign_by_THE_MATRIX_IZ_REAL.jpg

I wasn't sure how to explain the cold war to my 5 and 8 year old. Anyone remember watching "The Day After"?

... Anyone remember watching "The Day After"?

Sure do ... it was a huge TV event.
The most watched TV movie of all time.
The entire Roots 8-part miniseries had about 140 million viewers total ... verses that one airing of "The Day After" had about 100 million.

The networks set up phone banks with mental health counselors. There were peace vigils following the movie. Fred Rogers dedicated 5 entire episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood to comfort and counsel little children who may have seen the movie.
It was shown around the world and in the Eastern Block, China, North Korea and Cuba. In the Soviet Union it was shown on Soviet State Television. The film was screened privately for President Reagan and also for the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The ABC censors took a hatchet to it to reduce body counts and severe burn victims and graphic deaths, but it still sent people into counseling.
It was reported that at the final screening for ABC Network executives that, "After the screening, the executives were sobbing ...".

I thought it was a good suspenseful thriller but the movie really disturbed my girlfriend at the time ... had to provide her with some counseling of my own.

I thought that stuff went away with the end of the cold war. I'm not so sure now.

As far as a favorite nuclear war movie ... for me I'd say it's got to be Doctor Strangelove ... not the same sort of movie, still a classic.

along the same lines, remember when there were reports of women fainting during screenings of The Exorcist?

or gang riots at theaters showing The Warriors?

At least in my hometown, there actually WAS a mini-riot at a showing of Boyz in the Hood.

Sure do ... it was a huge TV event.
The most watched TV movie of all time.
The entire Roots 8-part miniseries had about 140 million viewers total ... verses that one airing of "The Day After" had about 100 million.

The networks set up phone banks with mental health counselors. There were peace vigils following the movie. Fred Rogers dedicated 5 entire episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood to comfort and counsel little children who may have seen the movie.
It was shown around the world and in the Eastern Block, China, North Korea and Cuba. In the Soviet Union it was shown on Soviet State Television. The film was screened privately for President Reagan and also for the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The ABC censors took a hatchet to it to reduce body counts and severe burn victims and graphic deaths, but it still sent people into counseling.
It was reported that at the final screening for ABC Network executives that, "After the screening, the executives were sobbing ...".

I thought it was a good suspenseful thriller but the movie really disturbed my girlfriend at the time ... had to provide her with some counseling of my own.

I thought that stuff went away with the end of the cold war. I'm not so sure now.

As far as a favorite nuclear war movie ... for me I'd say it's got to be Doctor Strangelove ... not the same sort of movie, still a classic.

I forgot all about the hullaboo when it came out. But yeah I remember all of it now.

Makes me want to watch it again.

Grognerd said:
along the same lines, remember when there were reports of women fainting during screenings of The Exorcist?

I was just going to mentioned the Warriors.

---the-warriors-163027_1024_792.jpg

Do you also remember 4-5 years later when the movie debuted on Television, I think it was ABC? Police across the country went on alert again looking for roving gangs of costumed thugs who may have been up to no good.

How do I know this? A pure coincidence..... I was part of a, I guess today you would call it "LARP'ers" (Live action role playing) group that was sort of like Live Dungeons and Dragons (We called ourselves the VARR, "Various Assorted Riff Raff") and were walking through a subdivision on the way to our favorite Melee area in full nerdy regalia, including a couple of orcs in green makeup, complete with fake weapons (although some of us were pretty proficient and dangerous with wooden quarterstaffs) totally oblivious to the hullabaloo about the movie, when suddenly we were surrounded by 3-4 cop cars, and cops with hands nervously on their weapons.

We were all like Seniors in High School, or Freshman in College, we were all pretty big guys and girls (it was a co-ed nerd group.)

The only thing that saved us was the ridiculousness of our costumes which included a kid in full purple Wizard's robes and peaked hat, and that someone else had live Parrot on their shoulder. And I think one of the cops recognized one of us as a "good kid" in the neighborhood.

But initially it was tense when they rolled up on us on a corner from three different directions, spotlights and all. But once it was all sorted out it was almost humorous, we had no clue about the movie, or that they had gotten several calls from freaked out folks along our route who were shocked as hell to see their worst nightmare, coming right out of the TV set and into suburbia. And the cops were pretty blown away by it too, they told us thee were like national bulletins all about the movie and fear about roving gangs, and they had been briefed about it before starting their shift, and here they were getting 9-11 calls about it.

Weird night...gotta wonder what would have happened if it was today....They might of actually had guns drawn on us, and been more menacing. This was early 80's in suburbia, things were a little more naive than today. Doubtful if something on TV today would cause such a worry among police around the country....

I kept screaming "Riot Riot" but it seems no one was on board.

I was just going to mention the Warriors ...
Do you also remember 4-5 years later when the movie debuted on Television, I think it was ABC?

Because we knew the dialog of that movie by heart, as well as every scene - we were absolutely disgusted when we saw the movie on TV because they cut dialog, edited scenes ... and then the ultimate slap in the face ... the law-and-order'ist tv network morons *added* a final scene to the movie that showed a bunch of police cars speeding to the final scene where the Gramercy Riffs catch up with the Rogues to dispense some final justice for having killed their leader, Cyrus ... added just to show that in the end that the system, da "man", prevailed.
Sent a bunch of us on quite an ugly rant.
We were very into that movie.

Because we knew the dialog of that movie by heart, as well as every scene - we were absolutely disgusted when we saw the movie on TV because they cut dialog, edited scenes ... and then the ultimate slap in the face ... the law-and-order'ist tv network morons *added* a final scene to the movie that showed a bunch of police cars speeding to the final scene where the Gramercy Riffs catch up with the Rogues to dispense some final justice for having killed their leader, Cyrus ... added just to show that in the end that the the system, da "man", prevailed.
Sent a bunch of us on quite an ugly rant.
We were very into that movie.

Wow...Never knew that.

Heck I don't think I ever even saw the whole movie until I rented it in the 90's. I never saw it in the theater, and was out the night it aired. I do remember it being so "forbidden" and "scandelous" back then, that when I sat down to watch it finally, it was like "Meh."

I was a nerd who hung out with stoners

we would toke and play D&D

At the risk of seeming even stranger than I already might ... similarly, we used to get together and party a bit and have a few imported beers and play D&D whilst listening to my extensive collection of British Isles, Celtic and bagpipe music (much of it recorded from the Thistle & Shamrock radio show).
A long time ago.

I loved "Thistle and Shamrock." Although back when I worked in Public Radio we used to call it "Gristle and Ham hock." I missed that show. We used to also have a Celtic show on the station I worked at called "Off She Goes." That later got merged into another folk show that stayed on the station for over 20 years.

...the Warriors ... A pure coincidence..... I was part of a, I guess today you would call it "LARP'ers" (Live action role playing) group that was sort of like Live Dungeons and Dragons (We called ourselves the VARR, "Various Assorted Riff Raff") and were walking through a subdivision on the way to our favorite Melee area in full nerdy regalia, including a couple of orcs in green makeup, complete with fake weapons (although some of us were pretty proficient and dangerous with wooden quarterstaffs) totally oblivious to the hullabaloo about the movie ...

We were so into the Warriors movie that when this large group that I was a member of would put on our annual giant Halloween party ... for a few of those years the Warriors movie had a big presence.

The party was at a large unused horse ranch that one of our guys’ father owned out in Lake Orion. As head of security (being the large intimidating guy I was) I’d have about 10 of us get dressed up in the full costume as one of the movie's gangs, the “Baseball Furies", faces painted and baseball bats and all.

tumblr_m8yzec89Yr1r70puno1_500.jpg

Even though our parties attracted 500+ people, this was very effective for keeping things under control because everyone knew that if you got in a situation with one Fury ... you got all the rest of them too. It was fairly inspiring to see 7 or 8 of us running somewhere in the gathering dark, top speed, single file, carrying our bats like the Furies did in the movie, if you can picture that. (ah nostalgia)
warriors-baseball-furies.jpg

Those parties were a huge affair, held simultaneously in the indoor Riding Arena of the farm as well as outdoors with bonfires. We’d haul a 3 level semi-trailer into the indoor arena and use that as the stage, have two bands, a pig roast, a 70-foot long bar with three CO2 taps going non-stop to fill pitchers ... never getting turned off pretty much the whole night. Because our group had about 60 or so members we had enough “staff” to have parking control out in the field, a large, guarded and restricted security corridor, a money booth set behind bars in one of the heavy duty horse stalls, and security for the two large houses on site as well as the rest of the 17 acre complex. It was a huge undertaking ... and we were still in high school.

I kinda wouldn’t be surprised if someone on HBT might actually remember those parties ... they were pretty renown. I’m a fairly private person but that would definitely identify me ... I digress.

tumblr_m7b6pguVsR1rwiqudo1_400.jpg

I loved "Thistle and Shamrock." Although back when I worked in Public Radio we used to call it "Gristle and Ham hock." I missed that show. We used to also have a Celtic show on the station I worked at called "Off She Goes." That later got merged into another folk show that stayed on the station for over 20 years.

Revvy; worked in public radio? ... as in WDET??
I made a pain in the butt of myself calling Judy Adams (program director and host) and trying to variously get her to send me copies of music ... notably, "All Along the Watchtower" by Bootsy Collins ... and "Rouge Plant Blues" by the Crackerjack Blues Band ... both of which I knew she had copies of.
And then later, had a number of conversations with her trying to get the Bluegrass Festival that WDET used to sponsor at Meadowbrook going again after they'd cancelled it.
In the end, Judy said if I drummed up enough new sponsors they'd discuss it. It never happened, but I LOVED that event and attended for years and years. Even after Pine Knob outlawed bringing in kegs of beer to concerts, at the WDET Bluegrass Festival you still could bring in any and all beverages including kegs. Man I miss those days.
Thinkin back on those days, I feel so old Revvy.

Revvy; worked in public radio? ... as in WDET??
I made a pain in the butt of myself calling Judy Adams and trying to variously get her to send me copies of music ... notably, "All Along the Watchtover" by Bootsy Collins ... and "Rouge Plant Blues" by the Crackerjack Blues Band ... both of which I knew she had copies of.
And then later, had a number of conversations with her trying to get the Bluegrass Festival that WDET used to sponsor at Meadowbrook going again after they'd cancelled it.
In the end, Judy said if I drummed up enough new sponsors they'd discuss it. It never happened, but I LOVED that event and attended for years and years. Even after Pine Knob outlawed bringing in kegs of beer to concerts, at the WDET Bluegrass Festival you still could bring in any and all beverages including kegs. Man I miss those days.
Thinkin back on those days, I feel so old Revvy.

Yeah I know. Me too. I was a punk kid in my 20's. I was the weekend engineer/board op responsible for making sure everything was hunky dory, I came in on Saturday Mornings to relieve Famous Coachman. In fact about 4 in the morning he'd start making on air comments wondering if "Mahkle" was up yet, if he was coming in, if he was going to be there on time, if he was going to bring him breakfast....He was referring to me.

I also was associate producer of Robert Jone's Blues from the Lowlands. I did some of the weekly blues Calendar reads. My "nickname" from him was "Lightning Mike Copado" because I once did something similar to the scene in bradcast news where the guy runs through the building with live copy or a tape and jumps over desks and under an open file cabinet through the whole building to throw some tape on the reel to reel in the studio.

I mixed most of his and Matt Watroba's live musical guests, so I got to hang out in the studio with folks like like John Lee Hooker and folk artists like Maura O'connell.

I used to get to go home and nap during Larry Mcdaniel's program then I came back during Weekend Edition and was the producer of Jim Gallert's Detroit Jazz Alive.

And on Sundays I'd work up to Chris Felcyn's Classical show, though a couple times I actually ended up filling in for him...knowing nothing about classical music.

It was great times. I worked all the festivals, and concerts. This was back when Dave Dixon was working there. It was freaking amazing. I actually got to know a lot of musician...heck I even peed with Dizzy Gillespe.

Remember the blues group Saffire the Uppity Blues Women? Remember their song "I need a young man, to drive away my middle aged blues?"

I was him... ;)

5972_100606234066_581941_n.jpg

I was their escort one Saturday where they did two gigs and a record store appearance in between. Got to ferry them around town....they embarassed the heck out of me at the last gig, dragging me out onstage and doing that song, and throwing my name into the song and playing with my hair and crap.

Here's me with Famous Coachman....

5972_100612354066_6931905_n.jpg

The Bluegrass festival was great, I think I used to do a lot of the backstage and stage photography for those......

Back