Post T-Day Turkey Fryer Deals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fid

Reaction score
Now that Thanksgiving is over I'm hoping to score a decent deal on a good turkey fryer to use for my first AG set up. Anybody seen anything special anywhere?

Bass pro shop 30 qt stainless pot with spigot, thermometer, lid, 58000 btu burner for $89

Looks like a pretty good deal. Anyone have any advice on whether a 30 qt pot is going to be sufficient for 5 gallon batches? I'm assuming its about as small as I'd want to go as it'd give around 1.5 gallons of headspace when my volumes are adjusted for boil off. The only other trouble that I see with it is that its got one of those pesky safety timers that I'd have to disable.

Since alot of you are pointing me towards deals that are just the pots... do you all think its better to just spend the extra cash on buying a pot and burner separate? My biggest concern so far with buying a whole turkey fryer set up is that you never really know what you're going to be getting as far as burner/base quality goes with those things.... though I'd assume any burner strong enough to fry a turkey should boil a 5 gallon batch just fine.

Keep the advice and the leads coming. As always, its much appreciated! :mug:

Also,
1867505_11101205012016-t.jpg

Bass Pro Shops® 30-Quart Propane Turkey Fryer | Bass Pro Shops
$40!?! WTF is wrong with that thing that its only $40?

From a fryer description:
" CSA-approved hose with regulator and automatic-shutoff safety timer. Imported."

Read that 3 times before I realized that it didn't say TSA. Was wondering what those mofos were doing regulating frying instead of .... flying? ZING!?

From a fryer description:
" CSA-approved hose with regulator and automatic-shutoff safety timer. Imported."

Read that 3 times before I realized that it didn't say TSA. Was wondering what those mofos were doing regulating frying instead of .... flying? ZING!?

And now I'm wondering why Community Supported Agriculture cares about regulating turkey fryers.

Nice! Let me know how it works out (though surely they'll be gone by then).

The other thing that's really holding me back now from pulling the trigger on this the pot seems to sit inside of a raised portion of the square base which I'd assume would make upgrading pot sizes in the future difficult... or at least require some extra attention/hacks.

I'm pretty sure the raised brackets can be unbolted. I read that on another post. Timers can be disassembled easily too.

The kettle supports can be removed (or not insatalled in the first place)

I just bought one at sams club for $49. It looks the same as that one from bass pro but its a 36 qt. Also 58k BTU. I just put it all together and it looks decent. I might add a valve to the kettle though.

Also,
1867505_11101205012016-t.jpg

Bass Pro Shops® 30-Quart Propane Turkey Fryer | Bass Pro Shops
$40!?! WTF is wrong with that thing that its only $40?

Hey I don't know, But I have it ordered......Hopefully it will work just fine for me, I'm just hoping the small 30 qt pot is NOT TIN FOIL LMAO.

Anyway, I could drink $40 bucks away real easy.... time will tell, and I'll let you guys know. Hey I almost got the $29.95 fish fryer just for the 18" high burnner. Ahhh But then I'd have to buy a bigger pot !

:mug:

I'm pretty sure the raised brackets can be unbolted. I read that on another post. Timers can be disassembled easily too.

The kettle supports can be removed (or not insatalled in the first place)

The brackets definitively look removable but there's what looks to be about a half inch rim that rises around the outside of the base that the kettle sits in. Again, its probably not a huge deal, just arguing with myself out loud about the potential pros and cons if I decide to pick it up.

Hey I don't know, But I have it ordered......Hopefully it will work just fine for me, I'm just hoping the small 30 qt pot is NOT TIN FOIL LMAO.

Anyway, I could drink $40 bucks away real easy.... time will tell, and I'll let you guys know. Hey I almost got the $29.95 fish fryer just for the 18" high burnner. Ahhh But then I'd have to buy a bigger pot !

Did you get yours? Have you measured the pot? Mine came to 6-1/2 gallons (not 30 qt).

Did you get yours? Have you measured the pot? Mine came to 6-1/2 gallons (not 30 qt).

Damm what a rip off!

My Daughter got me it for Christmas, soo I didn't "UN WRAP" it yet.

That sucks, cause it clearly says 30 quarts. The way I do math, Thats 7 1/2 gallons. Thats what I bought it for, The 7 1/2 gallon size pot.

I'll have to see what mine comes in at. If it does come in at 6 1/2 gallons, I'm going to contact them to get a 30 quart pot as described in the ad! and what I paid for.

I'm soo sick of crap like this when you buy products. Its all just a mind game.

I hate playing the game, And I won't anymore.

Dunnright, did you do it right (LOL) by filling it up with measured water?

Im really hoping Mine has a pot that can hold 30 QTS!:mug:

Oh BTW putting the pot aside, Have you fired it up and tested the burnner out?

If so, what are your thoughts on the burnner? Good enough, Bad ? etc

I'm not going to care if the paint burns off, Some others do, I just hope the burnner is good to use!

Damm what a rip off!

My Daughter got me it for Christmas, soo I didn't "UN WRAP" it yet.

That sucks, cause it clearly says 30 quarts. The way I do math, Thats 7 1/2 gallons. Thats what I bought it for, The 7 1/2 gallon size pot.

I'll have to see what mine comes in at. If it does come in at 6 1/2 gallons, I'm going to contact them to get a 30 quart pot as described in the ad! and what I paid for.

I'm soo sick of crap like this when you buy products. Its all just a mind game.

I hate playing the game, And I won't anymore.

If it's 6 1/2 we will both be screaming.

I did it twice, just to make sure, using a 4 cup (1 qt) measuring cup. I made a stick and made a mark every gallon & half gallon. First time it was right at the top at 6-1/2 gal. 2nd time I had about a 1/4 inch once I got to the 6-1/2 gallon mark.

Oh BTW putting the pot aside, Have you fired it up and tested the burnner out?

If so, what are your thoughts on the burnner? Good enough, Bad ? etc

I'm not going to care if the paint burns off, Some others do, I just hope the burnner is good to use!

The burner is good and strong, but it has a 15 min timer. As someone mentioned, these are apparently easy to remove? I'm interested if someone could try it and demonstrate.

Also, there's no adjustment. It's either on or off. So that may be why I got such a high boil off in one hour.

Go to sams club. Mine was $49 and advertised a 36 qt pot. It is indeed 9 gallons, I checked.

If I had a Sam's club card I would've gone for that instead. Like I said, the Bass Pro was over 50 with shipping.

I may still see if I can find someone who has a card so I can get one of these...

I did it twice, just to make sure, using a 4 cup (1 qt) measuring cup. I made a stick and made a mark every gallon & half gallon. First time it was right at the top at 6-1/2 gal. 2nd time I had about a 1/4 inch once I got to the 6-1/2 gallon mark.

The burner is good and strong, but it has a 15 min timer. As someone mentioned, these are apparently easy to remove? I'm interested if someone could try it and demonstrate.

Also, there's no adjustment. It's either on or off. So that may be why I got such a high boil off in one hour.

??? ON or OFF? never heard of that before? So you can not regulate the temp at all? Sounds really weird. But maybe thats because of that 15 minute timer? If thats the case, I think I may be sending it back.

??? ON or OFF? never heard of that before? So you can not regulate the temp at all? Sounds really weird. But maybe thats because of that 15 minute timer? If thats the case, I think I may be sending it back.

I could regulate the temperature on mine perfectly fine. The 15 minute timer is kind of annoying, but I would just set it back to 15 minutes every time I'd check on it. So far I'm happy with the product personally.

Ok, I feel kinda dumb now. There IS a way to regulate the gas, but it was back on the regulator.

Hence the name I guess?

<--idiot

Still not happy with the size of the pot, but discovering the temp adjustment makes of feel a little better.

Man! This has been a bad/weird brewday...

I could regulate the temperature on mine perfectly fine. The 15 minute timer is kind of annoying, but I would just set it back to 15 minutes every time I'd check on it. So far I'm happy with the product personally.

Ohh Good, I never seen one you could not fine tune the flames. Thanks Lux, now I don't feel like im going to get some junk LOL Besides the pot.

Hey did you get a 30 quart pot??????

It's got a nice strong flame when it's on high (which it was for 3/4 of my boil, heh...) so I'm sure it would work.

That's what I plan on doing, getting another larger BK and using this for the HLT.

I'll check the exact BTU's if I have it later...

Back