Post-Fermentation Temperature in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As the title suggests, what's an appropriate temperature for beer to sit in the primary after the fermentation is complete?

I brewed a porter a two weeks ago. Fermented at around 64F using S-04. After a week or so, I bumped up the temperature to 70F as a diacetyl rest (not sure I did it at the right time, but that's another problem).

I was going to keg the beer this weekend, at around 3 weeks, but my regulator is messed up and is going to get repaired, so I probably have to wait til week 4. Anyway, is it okay to let the beer sit at 70F for a few more weeks? My concern of lowering the temperature (naturally or cold crashing) would be sucking air back in. Given my lack of regulator (and lack of CO2 from said bad regulator), I don't have any means of filling a mylar balloon with CO2.

Brewed to style porters are pretty much the opposite of fragile beers (neipa's would be on top imo).
I think it'll do just fine with an extra week or two of a controlled 70°F :)

Cheers!

Brewed to style porters are pretty much the opposite of fragile beers (neipa's would be on top imo).
I think it'll do just fine with an extra week or two of a controlled 70°F :)

Cheers!

I agree, it will be just fine with an extra 6 weeks at 70 degrees.

Back