Post Chiller viewing tube/homemade thrumometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longwaytofall

Reaction score
I am currently building a 2 tier RIMs system, and I can't wait to use it! I like the idea of having a completely sealed system going from the boil kettle to the inside of the fermenter. I am going to use a large counterflow chiller, a pump and valves to transfer the wort out of the bottom of the boil kettle (any ideas for filtering trub? I was thinking about braided stainless toilet line) into the cooler, and down a stainless tube (having my aerator on it) into the fermenter. I would like to measure the temperature of the wort after the cooler, so I can adjust the cooler to make it deliver yeast-pitching temperatures. The Blichmann thrumometer does this, and I was thinking about buying one, but the handyman in me wants to build it instead.

Buying the things I need for a couple of sight glasses gave me the idea of using 3/4 inch or 7/8 inch OD polycarbonate tubing, with compression fittings on the end, with a stick on thermometer on it. (the kind you stick onto your plastic buckets etc etc.) The bonuses would be the fact that you could see the color of your beer before it goes into the primary, and the whole setup would be sealed and cleaner than dipping a thermometer into the open primary.
I was thinking about putting my aerator into the lines after the cooler, but I figured that I wouldn't be able to aerate any longer than the time it took to cool the batch, which might be too short.

Anyways, I am very new to all of this fancy stuff, but I have done a couple dozen all grain batches using a cooler in the past.

Thank you!

Back