Post brew/bottle clean up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4allMI

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions on cleaning fermentation bucket/carboy after brewing? Which is best, soap or diluted bleach water?

1 scoop of PBW or Oxyclean, fill to the brim with hot water, let it soak for a day.

Dump, rinse thoroughly (2-3 times), sanitize, good to go.

I don't use bleach just because I don't want any chance of bleach in my beer but it can work if you make sure it is rinsed very thoroughly. I've used unscented dish soap on plastic buckets with a soft sponge before but I now try to avoid soap because I've heard it can leave a film that can leave a soapy taste or mess with head retention. But again it should be fine if you rinse very well.

I definitely agree that PBW or oxyclean is the best way to go.

I use 3TBSP of PBW in the fermenter,filled to above the crud line with water. Stir well till disolved. Let sit overnight & scrub lightly to remove softened crud. Drain & rinse well. I run it all through the spigots on my fermenter to wash them out too. Then sanitize with Starsan before storage. Again right before use. I also clean & re-sanitize the spigot before use as well.

Jet rinse glass carboy immediately. Add enough warm water to cover the crud line when the carboy is inverted in the sink. Add three to four drops of unscented Dawn and invert. Brush out the next day. Jet rinse again after brushing.

Latest posts

Back