Post bottling issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer Gerard

Reaction score
I seem to be developing some solvent like tastes in my high gravity beers post bottling. They seem fine in the first few days but a week on once they carb up i think i can detect a slight bit of this off flavour. Has happened with a torero ipa clone and now with a raging ***** clone I've just bottled.

One theory i have is that when i prime my bottles i then store them indoors i where it's usually a bit warmer but probably not much over 74F.

Any theories/similar experiences out there?

Sent from my phone using my phone.

From BJCP:

Solvent-like

This describes an aroma and taste similar to turpentine or acetone that is often accompanied by a burning sensation in the back of the mouth. It is due to high concentrations of ethyl acetate and other esters, as well as fusel alcohols. Possible sources include underpitching and fermenting on the trub, especially at elevated temperatures. Contamination by wild yeast may produce elevated levels of both esters and fusel alcohols. Solvent-like notes are generally undesirable, but perceptible levels may be encountered in old ales such as Theakstons Old Peculie

Priming beer at elevated temps should not cause a noticeable amount of off-flavors. I'm guessing there is another cause, such as elevated fermentation temps, as indicated by the above quote.

Fermentation temps are definitely the #1 cause of fusel alcohols (solvent like off-flavors), but I can usually taste it in uncarbed beer. Could it be you're slightly over-carbing and getting a carbonic acid bite?

Hmm don't think so. I'm carbing to 2.3 vols and i'm getting it even before the bottles are fully carbonated.

It was probably there long before you bottled, but becoming more apparent as time goes on.

I'd look at yeast pitching rates, and fermentation temperatures, rather than assuming this is coming from bottling.

Carbonation certainly brings flavors to the forefront, so it could just be that.

This is a byproduct of stressed yeast eating too fast. It is more likely that you are stressed when consuming a ton of sugar (main fermentation) than a tiny amount of sugar (priming). That would be the first place to start - pitching amounts, pitching temps, aeration, fermentation temps. If you think you've got all those under control, then you can control your bottle conditioning a bit better and see if that works . Pitching a little fresh yeast, controlling temps, and using DME/wort vs plain sugar would reduce the chances of any off flavors from bottle carbing.

Thanks for replies. Yes when you read the literature a scenario where off flavours are produced at this stage doesn't make sense. It's just that it seems like the cleanness has left the beer post bottling.

It's the raging ***** clone that has really thrown me. I could have sworn it was cleaner with a more pronounced hop flavour.

Im getting a slight metalic taste, usually in the last dozon bottles of a batch, so for ive done about 6 batches and the first i had no issues but now it seems to be the thing, any ideas? also not all the bottles are carbinating. on the last batch, a stout, the last 7-8 bottles had very little "fizz", compaired to the rest?
Newbie here BTW.
Thanks Dan.

Yip you have to ensure that the priming solution is evenly distributed thorough the batch or you carbonation wont be consistent. I made the same mistake recently when i changed my bottling technique and had inconsistent carbonation However it's also the case that you do not want to reintroduce oxygen into the beer, the priming sugar should ideally be fermented anaerobically.

My original technique was to sprinkle the corn sugar while stirring with a whisk. I stopped doing this to avoid oxidizing at the bottling stage.

Yip you have to ensure that the priming solution is evenly distributed thorough the batch or you carbonation wont be consistent. I made the same mistake recently when i changed my bottling technique and had inconsistent carbonation However it's also the case that you do not want to reintroduce oxygen into the beer, the priming sugar should ideally be fermented anaerobically.

My original technique was to sprinkle the corn sugar while stirring with a whisk. I stopped doing this to avoid oxidizing at the bottling stage.

I just put half the sugar (perviously added to boiled water and cooled down), rack half of the batch, then swirl gently, being careful not to splash the beer around. Ithen add the rest of the sugar, rack the rest, then repeat. Halfway through bottling, I'll swirl the batch again. That's the only way I figured to insure an almost even distribution. My two cents.

Back