Possibly stuck Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSunshine

Reaction score
Ah those damn saisons, I never knew they'd be so much trouble until I brewed it. :drunk:

I brewed a saison and it's been in the primary for a month now using WLP565. The OG was around 1.068 and it's currently at 1.020. I cranked the temps up to 85+ while it was fermenting and tilted the carboy a few times during the process as well. Last time I took a hydro reading (about 2 weeks ago) it was at 1.024 so it hasn't done alot of moving.

What should I do finish this one off? Should I hit it with the high temps again (its been awhile since I turned the space heater on) and give the carboy another tilt? Until then I might as well get started on my next beer.

Unfortunately, WLP is notorious for never finishing. A few people have got it to finish sometimes taking it into the 90s, but it seems as if most people here on HBT have been just as frustrated as you. Wyeast 3724 is known to finish better, and Wyeast 3711 the French Saison apparently finishes even in the 70s. Sometimes it's been suggested that you can finish with some Notthingham or wine yeast, if all else fails. If it's still dropping, even slowly, you might still want to give it some time.

If you haven't listened to this podcast of the Jamil Show they do an episode on Saisons and talk about how you can help your Saison finish. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Saison-The-Jamil-Show-09-10-07

Unfortunately, WLP is notorious for never finishing. A few people have got it to finish sometimes taking it into the 90s, but it seems as if most people here on HBT have been just as frustrated as you. Wyeast 3724 is known to finish better, and Wyeast 3711 the French Saison apparently finishes even in the 70s. Sometimes it's been suggested that you can finish with some Notthingham or wine yeast, if all else fails. If it's still dropping, even slowly, you might still want to give it some time.

If you haven't listened to this podcast of the Jamil Show they do an episode on Saisons and talk about how you can help your Saison finish. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Saison-The-Jamil-Show-09-10-07

Thanks for the link! I'm going to have to listen to that at work tomorrow. After doing some searching (after I brewed) I saw that other folks were having the same issues I was.

I have a packet of Montrachet yeast lying around, would I be able to pitch that? If so, would I have to make a starter for it or dump it right in? Also will the additional yeast possibly contribute to bottle bombs?

Ok, I listened to the show and I think I'm going to pitch some Notty with a yeast nutrient and give it a swirl and perhaps put some heat on it. Hopefully that'll get it down....

I had the same problem, but I used Safale 05 and it cleaned it right up.

The WLP Saison yeast is pretty lazy about finishing up. Next time, I will know better.

Ok, I added a pack of Notty to my fermenter and put some heat on it. To my surprise, I got the airlock bubbling again! Do you know how long it usually takes for it to get down to it's target FG after you re-pitched?

I also got a stuck a couple weeks ago... pitched dry safale 05. got me down to 1013. letting it clean up now

Back