Possible toxicity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creekwaterbrew

Reaction score
Howdy, just brewed in my brand new stainless steel pot i got on eBay. I rinsed it and even used a little star san before boil. When I started to runoff from mash, I noticed that there were bubbles on the surface that had a rainbow hue. I ended up boiling and brewing like normal but it's weighing on my mind. Do the rainbow bubbles on the preboil mean I have some chemicals in there? Should I toss the batch? And should I have cleaned the new pot more vigorously? Thanks!

It's probably oil from the factory where the pot was made. It's a good idea to clean anything before it contacts your food.

Like maida said, its probably oil from the machining process. It could also be soap from any equipment you may have washed and not rinsed properly.

Its unlikely the oil is an issue, but it may kill the head on this batch of beer.

Bryan

This happened to me with my conical the first time I used it. It lest a metallic taste to the beer. Rinsing isn't enough. Scrub scrub scrub.

I like to use bar keepers friend and a green scrubby on all my copper, brass and stainless parts. I'm a bit anal about cleaning.

Keep it!! You have no idea how it will turn out. IMO boiling for 60 min reduced any possible contaminants down to a negligible amount, and may be difficult to detect in the finished beer. I also use bar keepers friend on my SS pot about every third brew. Dish soap and a scrub pad other times. Always rinse thoroughly.

Just kegged the batch. Still concerned about that rainbow hue in the bubbles during mash. There was no visible rainbowish hue when I opened the fermenter or when I siphoned to the keg. Was wondering, could I be poisoning myself by drinking this beer lol

What was the grain bill? An mash or first wort hops? Some may give off an oil like sheen due to the resin or oil from the grain depending on what you had.

Latest posts

Back