Possible silly bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
From someone who's been kegging exclusively for the last two years, I've got a batch fermenting that will get bottled since half of it is going to a friend. Just checked it this morning, after a week it's only down to 1.020 (yes hydrometer is calibrated) but it TASTES right, albeit a bit sweet. So, my question is this; if I go ahead and crash it now (brewing a lager today that will need to be in the ferment fridge at 50), then bottle it, will those last few points be enough to carb it? I'm going to do the PET control bottle to keep track, but I'm thinking it should work. Can always uncap and add a bit of sugar later if it doesn't work. Whadda y'all think?

I would never consider leaving it and hoping the last few points will carb it. Actual FG is only approximate - it could finish higher or lower than you expect. If it finishes higher, you could get nearly flat beer. Or worse, if it finishes lower, you could have bottle bombs. I always take gravity readings two days apart to be sure the gravity is stable before bottling. (With a standard hydrometer, I would take samples 3 days apart, but I use a bottling hydrometer.) I've had a few surprises, and I was very glad I checked. For me, it's more about safety than beer quality.

I would never consider leaving it and hoping the last few points will carb it. Actual FG is only approximate - it could finish higher or lower than you expect. If it finishes higher, you could get nearly flat beer. Or worse, if it finishes lower, you could have bottle bombs. I always take gravity readings two days apart to be sure the gravity is stable before bottling. (With a standard hydrometer, I would take samples 3 days apart, but I use a bottling hydrometer.) I've had a few surprises, and I was very glad I checked. For me, it's more about safety than beer quality.

Yeah, I'm concerned about bottle bombs as well. I moved it to my spare room earlier today to let it finish out some more and will give it another test in a day or two.

Set it aside and let it ride. Pulling it out of temp control at this point won't likely make any difference in the flavor profile and the extra heat may help it finish out.

Back