Possible rookie mistake w/ campden tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In_Vino_Veritas

Reaction score
Long time brewer, first time cider maker. I'll looking for feedback from those that have made cider, using campden tablets. Here's my sequence so far:

Friday 7:00PM - into 5 gallon untreated cider added Qty. 5 campden tablets (uncrushed, didn't know) & 2.5 tsp pectic enzyme. OG 1.052.

Saturday 9:00PM - add two lbs dark brown sugar, 2.5 tsp yreast energizer, 1 tsp yeast nutrient & rehydrated S-04 (1 pack). OG w/ sugar 1.070.

So far I've not seen any activity yet, no positive pressure at all. I know many say to just be patient, however I've not seen this much lag and would have thought with simple sugar the yeast would be eating it up. Did the uncrushed campden tablets slow the absorbion and I should have waiting longer to pitch? Also, there was conflicting wait times 24 and 48 hr, wish the packaging had more instruction on it. When should I consider repitching?

So far I've not seen any activity yet, no positive pressure at all. I know many say to just be patient, however I've not seen this much lag and would have thought with simple sugar the yeast would be eating it up. Did the uncrushed campden tablets slow the absorbion and I should have waiting longer to pitch? Also, there was conflicting wait times 24 and 48 hr, wish the packaging had more instruction on it. When should I consider repitching?

It's only been like 12 hours. Wait.

If you've got floating campden tablets, take them out. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

I pitched some s-04 onto cider w/o campden yesterday. 28 hours later, I JUST saw my first airlock activity. Patience will probably solve this problem.

If not, presumably, not crushing the tablets made them slower to dissolve, which means they'll also dissipate more slowly. At least that's what I'd guess.

Therefore, worse case scenario, you get no fermentation in a few days. All I'd do is re-pitch some yeast started in juice.

Nothing as of this morning (36 hours). Is it possible the cider despite specifically asking for untreated was potassium sorbated? This stuff was a lot of money, so I hope not.

Nothing as of this morning (36 hours). Is it possible the cider despite specifically asking for untreated was potassium sorbated? This stuff was a lot of money, so I hope not.

It's possible. You could call them and ask. They may not even realize what they are adding, if you talked to someone who didn't know.

I made the same mistake. It takes a few to several days for uncrushed tablets to dissolve.

Back