Possible Over Carb!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jslive4now

Reaction score
Been having an issue with my last couple of batches of Kegged brew…** After sitting in my Keg for about *1-1/2 to 2 weeks the flavor is changing and giving off an off flavor….* Almost like bitterness or an astringent taste….* From what I can tell its possible caused for Over Carbonation or “Carbonic Acid”…* Not sure how to ID this so thought I’d reach out for some help…*

So to give a rundown of my normal way I Keg, here is the following… I clean kegs and lines with PBW and Sanitize with Star San.* I will Keg home brew and Purge the head space..* After purge I set for 25-30PSI for 24 hours (to set cap and jump start carbonation)..* after the 24 hours I then will Purge the head space, set between 10-12 psi and let it set for about another 3-4 days and serve at the same pressure… *Yesterday I turned the pressure down to about 5-6psi and Ive been purging the head space every few hours or so to try and release some of the extra Carbonation…. Though the keg is still in the fridge, and I’ve read I might need to take out and let it warm up to room temps…

Will this go away??* Based on the above could it be anything else???* I was very careful when I brewed this batch and used store bought water…* Initially it was a Great brew but now its not so great…LOL* Is what I’m doing to Carb wrong??* I’ve read some say to set at the proper PSI and let it set, other have done what I’ve done and don’t have a problem..
Any thoughts would be much appreciated….

John

The easiest way to check for over carbonation is to get two glasses that are the same size. Fill the first glass half way up with beer. Pour the beer back and forth between the two glasses. Each pour will knock some CO2. When the beer slows down foaming taste it.

I carb to about 2.0 to 2.2 volumes of CO2 for most beers. I've found that this is too much carbonation for the beers with an ABV around 3-5%. The carbonation gives a bite similar to what you describe.

Back