Possible Infection - Where did I go wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KozHops

Reaction score
So I went down to check on a Honey Apricot Belgian Blonde I did a few weeks ago and noticed a thin white film developing in the bottles. I feel like my sanitation procedures are pretty good and haven't had any infection issues since my very first batch - 30+ batches ago. Here's what I am thinking:

I added the honey once primary fermentation slowed down. I boiled about 2 cups of water on the stovetop and added the honey (1 lb.) I boiled for about 5 minutes and killed the heat and let the honey cool down. Once cooled I added it to the primary.

I added about 4 lbs of apricots to the secondary. These are canned apricots in pear juice, blended in a sanitized blender. Once pureed, I add them to the secondary. I have done this a few times before and never had any issues.

I cold crashed everything and added gelatin to the secondary to clear the beer for about 4 days. Once cleared I racked to the bottling bucket.

I bottled the beer as I ususally do by cleaning the bottles with an oxyclean soak and then an isodophor cleaning.

I am making the assumption that this beer is infected, I have never seen that white film floating on the beer before. My only thought was this could have been a byproduct of the honey (never used it before) or the gelatin (never bottle a beer after using gelatin)?

Anyone out there have any idea what this could be?

Sometimes you get krausen in the bottle from the yeast. It's not always a sign of infection.

You added 4lbs of fruit and gave it four days to ferment out? That might have been premature and you carried some unfermented sugars into the bottles. You're seeing it continue to ferment in the bottle. You might want to keep an eye on those bottles for bombs or gushers.

Thanks for the quick response. I maybe should have clarified that point, the beer sat on the fruit in the secondary for 2 weeks. Total time in the primary/secondary was 4 weeks.

I heard of the krausen but wasn't sure how likely that would be. I also heard the honey releases wax when heated.

Back