Possible fermentation off flavor? Contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copachono

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all i got some problems with my beers i getting an off flavor quite nasty, i cant find where i got it, its like an orange peel bitter with a really high yeasty flavor, i dont notice it on the nose, but it its on the flavor.

first I thought it was the flavor on the stressed kviek but i used a us 05 and that flavor it still there, im even using fermaid O and algo this time i used a liter starter just to improve the healthy on the yeast

could it be my hops?

also sorry for the black highlight i cant seem to get it off the post

Last edited:
also sorry for the black highlight i cant seem to get it off the post
Click on Edit, on the bottom of your post. Then on the top right of the edit panel you'll see [ ], click on it. That turns the view back to regular BB code and you'll see the bold tag: [B]. There is also the [/B] at the very end. Just delete those codes.

The other way to do it, without getting into the BB code view, is highlight everything you want changed, then click on the leftmost button, it looks like a tilted eraser. It removes all formatting. ;)

Regarding the off flavor in your beer, that's a little harder to solve.
Could it be an infection? Have you cleaned the inside of your kettle's valves, such as on the exit or whirlport port, lately? It can harbor nasties over time, even though it gets hot as heck. For that you'll have to take the valve apart. Any black slime or tar-like substance in there? Pediococcus is a notorious harborer.
Same with fermenters that have spigots, the space in between the body (that has the nut) and the rotating spigot.

Or perhaps your yeast starters got infected?
It could be the hops, have you tried different ones?

Last edited:
Thank you for the ramark on the bb code.

As for the cleaning i do clean everything, but my last batch the one with US-05, y tried to use a residual of nitric/phosphoric acid that i used on passivation for my kegs, just cause i was affraid of beer stone on my chiller, and that stuff clean many nasty on the plate chiller but i cant seem to get ir all out, its like a black musty stuff, that my concern on the contamination side, i did tried another type of hops but right now im using a hop oil that i got from a friend so im concerned on that too, and lastly my last concern its that some of my pilsner malt got weedevils, so i just put the bags on the fridge, i dont seem to have any nasty flavor on the mash or after the boil, in fact, i always took a small amounts of must and put it on vials to incubate still never show any sign of spoilage, could it be something on my process its leading yeast to autolyzed?

but i cant seem to get ir all out, its like a black musty stuff, that my concern on the contamination side,
Are you saying there's black musty stuff inside your plate chiller? That for sure would point to possible infections or at least off flavors.

Most if not all-metal plate chillers can be baked in the oven at 450F* for a few (2-4) hours to kill everything in there. Some of the debris inside may turn into ash or least dry the organic stuff out enough so it can be flushed out over time.

* Higher temps may be used, such as the oven's self cleaning cycle (~932F/500C). From what I gather, plate chillers are copper brazed, so they shouldn't melt or come apart, even at those higher temps.

Last edited:
That what i thought, but no matter what i use to recirculate on the olate chiller it seems like it just remove a small part of it, i've even use professional cleaners la ecolab AC 101, and im not sure if use again the ac 55, which its nitric/phosphoric acid for passivation, im not sure if the bass can handle such corrosive acids again, but the first pass did remove all that, it may be hop matter and probably beer stone, its a duda diesel plate chiller, the kettle and pump are cleaned apart every batch i made just the plate chiller i usually back flush for an hour with pbw

Plate Chiller_Cut in Half.jpg

Could this^ answer why "stuff" that's stuck inside your plate chiller won't come out so easily?

Any clogging may not dislodge by merely backflushing, or forward flushing for that matter. Because of the parallel channels, the flushing/recirculation liquid can easily bypasses the clogs through the plethora of alternative channels between other plates. If the clogs are very substantial and in many regions, throughput may be reduced.

Repeated drying/burning the stuff in the oven will sterilize it and keep hoping it will eventually purge out.

I have a new one i will try a new beer tomorrow, i just have to change my hoses a bit since the new one has different posts

I have a new one i will try a new beer tomorrow, i just have to change my hoses a bit since the new one has different posts
Perfect! Give it a good cleaning on the inside first, by circulating hot (homemade) PBW or such (plus a dash of lye if you want) through it for a few hours.

More importantly, at all cost, prevent hop pellet flakes, hop leaf, as well as other larger particles such as from Irish Moss, stray grain kernels, husks, fruit or vegetable pulp, etc. from going into your plate chiller is the best strategy to keep your chiller clean inside and "serviceable," preventing bigger problems later on.
Contain those inside fine mesh "hop bags." Paint strainer bags are somewhat coarser (more open) and may work well too. Many use hop spiders or hop baskets for that.
I'm advising to also put some sort of filter on the exit port inside your kettle, for all security, to keep bigger stuff and stray matter inside the kettle.

Now the super fine hop dust that goes through the pores of those hop bags is fairly safe, and should not cause built up and clogging in your plate chiller, as long as there aren't piles of it going through at once.

Latest posts

Back