Possible Bad Sankey Keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I bought a keg of The Crisp from my local store that I've had no problems with.

From day 1 its been a foam monster. I figured at first, ok it still needs to settle. Fast forward 3 days sitting at 35* in my kegerator, still foamy.

I check the line. Its 6 feet, purge pressure down all the way. some success.
For about 2 weeks its been touch and go with it. Never did I have a clean pour with it.

So on Friday I decided to go though a system check and clean everything and change lines. Went from 6 feet to 7, then to 15 feet as extra insurance 3/16 line.

Took apart the coupler, faucet, and changed and cleaned my regulator lines. Kept pressure at 10 psi. Tried 3 different faucets on it. Perlick forward sealing faucet. Perlick Flow control, and a standard Chrome plated faucet. No change.

Nothing doing. Its just a foam monster. I ordered a new keg coupler just in case something is going on.

But yeah I'm thinking I got a bad keg. Taste seems OK for what I can tell. Maybe if I'm splitting hairs, it tastes a little bit more bitter than I'm used to.

I know its rare, but does my reasoning and methodologies sound right? I'm down to the last quarter of the keg and its just gotten progressively worse as the month I've had it has gone on.

OK. So something bad clearly happened but its fixed now. I turned the fridge off. let the keg get up to around 55*F purged the keg completely and left it like that for 1 day. Then turned set the pressure at 12psi and cooled the keg down.

Just pulled a pint. Its good to go. I think the 15feet of line is a bit too long as its a pretty slow pour, but it seems to be pouring just fine.

I also just added a blower and line to it and purchased a new SS coupler just in case this didn't work. So for now, it looks good. Perhaps I froze the keg?

Back