Possible bacterial infection. Worrying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getzinator

Reaction score
I started my brew this past Sunday. The fermentation was very slow to start, over 72 hours, and there's still no rapid airlock activity. But it's also the highest SG I've ever done (started around 66, and I used twice the LME than previous recipes)

So trying not to worry, I just decided to check on my brew today (Thursday). Luckily I noticed a thick krausen, and my SG has dropped about 4 points!

My problem is that I noticed a small round spot that was green and whitish. Maybe a 1/4 inch in diameter. I took a sanitized spoon and scooped it out.
Should I do something more about this?

EDIT: I also meant to say that I tasted it. Very sweet still, a little of that "hot" taste that is concurrent with fermentation.

was it on top of the krausen? it was probably nothing. wait a couple of weeks and see what happens

Yep, it was sitting right up top against the wall of the bucket. And I had a good 2.5 inches of krausen formed, too.

Will do, thanks for the reassurance.

It's just so scary thinking of my little brew baby growing up all on its own. :(

Follow up Edit: So about 24-36 hours after I opened and saw the Krausen, my airlock was producing a bubble about once a second. Still going strong. This is definitely the slowest start to the fermentation process I've ever experienced (Sunday afternoon through Friday with no airlock bubbling). Maybe that's just typical of a higher gravity brew?

Get it out of your head that airlock activity means anything, it doesn't. You did the right thing by taking a gravity reading, that is the only way to know for sure. If you love something, set it free and rdwhahb!!

Cheers!!
JW

Back